Rant: My hubby lost 6 lbs due to my cooking

SkinnyScientist
on 3/2/15 6:34 pm, edited 3/2/15 9:05 pm

Ok. I am going to start this off with ...I am not mad at my hubby. In fact I am proud of him.

This rant is mainly about the lack of understanding of obesity.

My immediate/genetically related family (with the exception of my sister) is rather rotund. 

We were told by docs/society/the world that it was because we were: a) were eating too much b)eating too rich of food or c) both.

When we got mentally handicapped foster residents that lived with us, my father said something to the like "Let's see if they gain weight" (since we were the family setting these people needed, they ate meals with us, did chores with us, ate what we ate, went on family vacations, and etc. Literally, they became a part of our family).

The residents did not gain weight.  :(

Years go by and SKinny spends in excess of 7K following the plans of numerous diets that didn't work.

Skinny gets bariartric surgery after the sucess of several cousins with the procedure.

Skinny loses the weight and WORKS HARD to maintain 140-143.

Skinny gets married. New hubby moves in.  After about 3 weeks of living full time with her, eating the meals she has prepared, often having SECONDS, her hubby looks at her and says "Can I borrow your scale?"  Note this is the evening and he is at his heaviest.

Turns out: when he married me he was 175.  After just 3 short weeks, his NIGHT weight is 169.  That is a 6 lb loss!!  If he were up early, I would get him to weigh again.  He would probably be 167 or so.

It just goes to show...it has to be metabolism. I am NOT eating seconds.  And I am struggling to hold 140-143.  He is eating seconds and has lost 6-8 lbs.

Just goes to show what an effed up metabolism WONT do for you. 

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Doingrightin2015
on 3/2/15 6:49 pm
RNY on 03/10/15

Yes I think our metabolism plays a large part in it. Men also can loss so much easier and faster for the most part. I have a hubby that is a little guy. He says everyone keep telling him...don't worry when you hit middle age you will gain! Well he is 56 and still a little guy. Trying to put some weight on his boney little butt. LOL

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/2/15 8:51 pm

I noticed that sometimes you refer to yourself in a third person.... Why is that? IMO - that is a bit weird...

look up "illeism"...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

chulbert
on 3/2/15 9:50 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

It's not clear to me what you're trying to convey.  It seems obvious to me that a 175-pound male would have a higher caloric need than a 140-pound female and would therefore lose weight on a comparable diet.

selhard
on 3/2/15 10:19 pm, edited 3/2/15 10:26 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

You may be confused but it's clear to me....men suck!  Nobody has believed me when I have said, "in the middle of the night, my DH's calories sneak across the mattress over to me."

InTransition
on 3/2/15 11:03 pm
RNY on 09/08/14

I always say that since it is a rule of nature that matter cannot be destroyed, clearly when someone else loses weight, someone else picks it up.  I think I always get my husbands...and the neighbors for 4 or 5 counties...

SkinnyScientist
on 3/2/15 11:18 pm

:)

SkinnyScientist
on 3/2/15 11:18 pm

what she said. And that fact that the 170 lb man eats twice as much as the 140 lb woman and STILL loses?

Compounded that she works out and he doesnt!?!?

MyLady Heidi
on 3/2/15 11:51 pm

Where is the surprise here?  My son has his fathers genetics, he is 5'10 and weighs 140lbs, he eats until he is full and no more, lives on healthy choices like sushi and fresh fruit, he has good metabolism and will never know what it is like being overweight.  I am very thankful for this, your husband sounds the same way, be thankful he will never know the destruction of being overweight on his health.

SkinnyScientist
on 3/2/15 11:59 pm

"be thankful he will never know the destruction of being overweight on his health."

Actually he DOES. He was obese for many years from high school until 2011.  He would drink a 2 liter of coke in the course of a weekend.

Then he developed type II diabetes and the triad that goes with it. He HAD to clean up his diet.

He became thinner as a result of his diet and medication.  DIabetes was literally the black cloud wiht the silver lining for him.

And now he is at his thinnest with my carb controlled WLS diet (for me) with a bit of slow g.i. carbs thrown in as side-dishes and desserts fro him.

But he destroyed himself. He really did. On our honeymoon I was flipping through pics on his cell phone. One was of his cat. He was eating breakfast when he took it. IN the picture you can see a sugar laden kids cereal with a two liter of coke in the background.

Nuff said.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 479 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 402 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?