Got my Surgery Date and a GIANT surprise!

Missmandy24
on 3/17/15 1:11 pm

Not sure why it keeps doing that lol! ^^

Pokemom
on 3/17/15 3:09 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

It is the system screening out potentially offensive words.  You will start noticing this periodically on the forum.  I think it is funny, because it is hardly ever for an actual offensive word, but instead is for accidental occurrences--for endings plus beginnings of words that together spell the "bad" word. So the unedited reply would read fine with nothing offensive.  Bit then instead  you see the stars, and so you think, "what was that supposed to say?"  And then you recognize the deleted word, and so you end up thinking of the possibly offensive word a lot more than you otherwise would have. Opposite consequences from what was intended. Makes me laugh every time.

Pokemom
on 3/17/15 2:28 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

I agree that that program fee is RIDICULOUS. My surgeon does have a program fee. It was $500.  They were very clear about it from the very beginning.  They said it covered things like education and also, mostly, the social worker for the support groups.  I am sure some doctors do not require additional payment for their educational materials.  However, $500 seemed reasonable to me for long term support groups guided by a social worker.  And even thiugh I recognized that it could just be extra money for the surgeons/their office, $500 seemed acceptable to me, and I did want to work with this surgeon. But $3000 seems like robbery.

Missmandy24
on 3/17/15 2:32 pm

I could totally afford a 500 fee but this seems like an extreme amount. Thanks for the supportive words. MY surgeons office is an hour away so I am unsure how many of the support groups I will be able to attend between work and school so 3000 is extreme.

mornings
on 3/17/15 3:54 pm - Canada

support groups are great and very useful but  in Canada there free in alberta but mandatory  for surgery  that you do the modules  so that  you have a better understanding on how you become in need of surgery and what to do after surgery ,   I believe  we had to pay for one book which is not bad called craving change  that was the best investment book they  sold  for part of the modules ,   I think a donation would help some of the cost but I do not agree that you had to pay for these groups especially the amount they seek from you ,,  its costly enough to  have surgery  lucky for insurance but there is other cost like  hospital stuff ,,   perhaps a loved one to  stay near a hospital while your in ,   there is also  cost of meds when your surgery is over and I just  really  hope you find a Dr who wont charge you for any of the education   so  wishing you the best  hope you don't have the stress of  paying such high amount  for that service 

caliannie
on 3/17/15 5:29 pm - CA
RNY on 04/14/15

My surgeon has a $900 "program fee" but he told us about it during the initial consultation and it was in writing in the packet of information we received. Call around and see if you can get in with another surgeon but also call the current one and tell them that you will have to look for another surgeon because you weren't told about the program fee and did not budget for it. They may change their mind or reduce the fee. Worth a try. Good Luck.

Carpe Diem!

Height: 5'5"  HW: 237 SW: 237 CW:138 GW: 134   M1: -31  M2: -14  M3:-12  M4: -10  M5: -10  M6: -5 M7: -4 M8: -5 M9: -5 M10: -2 M11: M12: -1

Missmandy24
on 3/18/15 2:39 am

If I had been told about it up front I would have probably switched surgeons right away. I think it was dishonest not to tell me right away. I think they assume you wont leave if you have already put all the work in so that's why they wait to tell you I don't know. But this is all a bit insane to me.

Nomoreexcuses
on 3/17/15 7:01 pm

$2,995.00 is excessive. My program fee was only $250.00 and covers monthly support group meetings and continued access to the medical support team. I'd find a new surgeon fast. You may have to go the new surgeon's orientation process and pre-op steps but I wouldn't think it would be an issue to get approved again for a different surgeon. It sucks though that this will mean a delay in your surgery date...how frustrating for you. 

VGS Surgery on 3/4/15

Navychic
on 3/17/15 10:11 pm
RNY on 02/09/15

Same kinda thing happened to me, but I misunderstood what was going on.  The surgeons Office said my Fees were $2500.  I thought it was my share of the surgery fees, ie deductible + the 10% I'm supposed to pay.  My catastrophic cap was $3000, so I just thought I was meeting it.  Then I get my insurance statement in, and I only had to  pay $1500 as my share.  I still keep getting in smaller bills for $50-150 from various other orgs also, ie radiology, labs, anesthesia, etc.  I'm hoping they stop soon, as the only thing I planned for was the first fee, and I still haven't met the catastrophic cap as all of the original fee didn't seem to apply to it as I'd thought.

I still tell myself its ultimately one of the best things Ive ever done, so I try not to complain too much, I just like to prepare so it would have been nice to know up front...

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

inkysgrl
on 3/17/15 10:29 pm

I had a program fee, but was told up front about it. They told me they couldnt submit my paper work to insurance until i paid the program fee. My fee was only $250. $3000 is a lot. I was told my was to cover things that my insurance did cover. Best of luck. See you on the losers bench soon.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 146 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views