9 Years out..where do I begin/ again?

jenn_in_ky
on 4/22/15 11:36 pm - Somerset, KY

Hey yall, this post may sound so silly to most but I'm struggling.  I need to get (back on track)  I've got at least 50lbs + I need to lose.  I almost bought diet pills AGAIN yesterday, but I didn't!  I know I still have a tool "even though its been 9yrs"  I just have to start using my tool again.  Any help, encouragement, advise is appreciated.  I've looked through groups...but any suggestions would be great.  Thanks!!

christinerocks
on 4/22/15 11:57 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

I am only 17 days from surgery so I feel ridiculous offering input... But I think you've made the first huge step in returning to OH.  Good for you! 

I have seen mention of a group here on OH called, Back on Track - look for it. It sounds like exactly what you're looking for.  

Good luck! 

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

rocky513
on 4/23/15 12:40 am - WI

The first thing you have to do is detox from any simple carbs ( bread, pasta, crackers, sugar, potatoes, rice, etc.)  It will be white knuckle for a week or so but, once you get past the worst, you will stop craving them.  Simple carbs go down too easy and we can eat A LOT of them.  Your focus needs to be dense protein ( like chicken breast, steak, etc) and veggies which will satisfy you more.  Limit your fruit to one serving per day (remember that  serving is 1/2 an apple or banana, 4 strawberries).  NO STARCHY CARBS UNTIL YOU REACH GOAL!

Start measuring portion sizes out.  We obese people have a skewed view on what a proper portion looks like.  It's easy to let the portion sizes creep up on us.  Eat very small meals ( 200 to 300 calories each) 6 times a day.  That means you will eat a little something every 3 to 4 hours.  ANYONE can wait 3 hours until they eat again.  If you feel hungry between meals IGNORE IT.  Hunger is not an emergency.  Just because you feel hungry, doesn't mean you have to eat.  You won't starve if you wait until the next meal time.  Don't eat until you feel full.  Many of us use that "full feeling" as an emotional crutch.  Eat only until you are satisfied.  That means you have to eat slowly and mindfully.

If you are drinking with your meals STOP!!!!  Drinking with meals allows us to eat more food.  Wait at least 30 minutes, after you eat, before drinking.  The common denominator in weight  re-gain is drinking with meals.  That rule is a lifetime commitment.

Drink at least 64 ounces of fluids daily.  That is the MINIMUM requirement.  I have to drink 120 ounces to feel good.  Everyone is different and you need to find that balance for yourself.

Take your vitamins.  This is NOT an option.  Your health depends on  it.

Your tool is still there, but you have to use it the way it was designed to work.  YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

Get into a support group or find a therapist if you are struggling.  Coming to this site helps keep you stay focused on what you need to do.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Dcgirl
on 4/23/15 1:48 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I want to save this - what an exceptional answer, Rocky!  Seriously, this should be posted daily, for all of us :)  Thanks!

jenn_in_ky
on 4/23/15 2:59 am - Somerset, KY

YES!! This is exactly what I needed!! Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to help me.  I love it. 

jenn_in_ky
on 4/23/15 3:04 am - Somerset, KY
Doingrightin2015
on 4/23/15 10:39 am
RNY on 03/10/15

Rocky Thank you for posting this I am just 6 weeks out but I have a nephew who is several years out from losing over 200 lbs and he is gaining weight back. I know he wants to get back to losing it again. I copied your post and sent it to him. I am trying to help him get his focus back on what he needs to be doing!!! This post really helps!

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

bublegirl1
on 4/24/15 1:50 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

I also want to say this is a great reply. Thank you because I neeeed this reminder as well! I'm going to screen shot it and save. 😊

-Amie

DoryAnne2
on 4/23/15 12:53 am
RNY on 04/01/13

First, I want to commend you for keeping most of your weight off for 9 years.  I think it's important that we focus on the positive and not just look at the negative.  I'm sure with all your diets in the past, you were never able to keep the majority of your weight loss off.

Saying that, I totally relate to being freaked out about a 50-pound gain.  The advice you've received so far is wonderful.  I also would suggest checking out OA (Overeaters Anonymous) if you haven't already.  The meetings are free and focus on dealing with our life and emotions that cause us to overeat.

Good for you that you came on the site and looking for help.  That's the first, and most important step.  Since you're willing, I know you'll be successful.  Keep us posted! 

HW:  268    SW:  255    GW:155    CW:  158

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE AREN'T THINGS.

RNY Surgery on 4/1/13   with Dr. Gohil

jenn_in_ky
on 4/23/15 3:04 am - Somerset, KY

awwh thanks so much!!! and I'm looking into OA right now! I appreciate the encouragement.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 359 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 443 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 359 views