quick question

sharronosia
on 4/29/15 4:11 am

I'm currently a little over 5 weeks post op. I was wondering if anyone has tried a skinless apple with a small amount of peanut butter for a snack. What do you think guys?

Kathy S.
on 4/29/15 4:25 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi sharronosia,

Do you have a list of approved foods from your surgeon?  PB is high in fat and can make some dump.  You can try it as everyone is different but try to concentrate on dense proteins this early out.

Check out EggFace's blog for suggestions for recipes and eating at this stage.

Eggface's Profile   I rarely read the message system here. Best way to reach me is the blog email: [email protected] or www.twitter.com/eggface or the blog  ... www.obesityhelp.com/member/mdvicari/

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Maria27
on 4/29/15 5:31 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I tried it once. I didn't do it again because removing the skin from the apple takes away all the texture and a lot of the taste. I really found removing the skin from fruit to equal taking all the enjoyment out of eating it, so I've avoided almost all fruit until this point. I was cleared to eat everything today, so I will probably add berries to my diet soon. But apples don't sound like the best choice right now in my opinion. Before surgery, I found apples with peanut butter a good way to satisfy my craving for sweets, so if you are fighting cravings, then maybe it help you. I just really haven't craved sweets at all since my surgery.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Grim_Traveller
on 4/29/15 7:26 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Apples have a bunch of sugar, and most peanut butter has a lot of sugar too. Some dump on that.

But adding things together makes calories jump really fast. It's one thing that got us obese to begin with. PB has a lot of calories, and it will go right through -- you could eat it all day. One extra tablespoon of PB every day is enough calories to make ten pounds in a year. It all adds up.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

sharronosia
on 4/29/15 8:30 am

Thanks Grim-Traveller,

never looked at it that way. I will keep that in mind as I move forward in this journey

Eggface
on 4/29/15 11:26 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Not enough protein bang for your buck, and as mentioned a bit too much fat... but... add powdered peanut butter (Chike PB, PB2 etc. which are 85-90% defatted, think peanut flour) to Greek Yogurt (plain stuff) and a little squirt of SF Torani to sweeten and you could dip apples in that. Add some vanilla protein powder for a little boost too. http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2013/08/a-day -in-my-pouch_13.html Though... I'd wait a bit, what's your plan say about fruit? Fibrous anything (fruits, veggies) is usually a little further down the road. Definitely peel off when you do. Honeycrisp, Fuji, Pink Lady are some of my fav. 

~Michelle "Shelly"

and.. TY for the shout out above :)  

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

lynnc99
on 4/29/15 12:56 pm

Hmmmm.....I didn't tackle fruit that early out, aside from a bite of banana every so often. And yes, PB is really high in fat so I found some "Better'n Peanut Butter" and used that. PB2 is actually the best option nutritionally.

And bear in mind you are building habits now. At almost 6 years out, peanut butter is a danger zone for me at 100 cal. per tbsp. And even at this point, 1/2 medium apple = 1 fruit serving. So the combination is not something that I find very workable even now. 

So in a word....nah. Pass on it. 

NYMom222
on 4/30/15 11:47 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I do eat Peanut Butter occasionally but usually with celery. Celery doesn't agree with everyone, but I've never had problem with it since the beginning.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 361 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 270 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 194 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 297 views