Carbs.... The evil carbs!

siberiancat
on 5/14/15 6:25 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I also went below goal and stayed there for a years.  I looked "gaunt" for several months but my body adjusted and I looked quite healthy.  During my 5th year post RNY, I found I had to really stick to my bariatric plan or I would put on a few pounds and I knew that if I didn't STOP eating high calorie/low nutrition foods, I was apt to start putting my lost weight back on.

All carbs are not created equal.  I would keep carbs to those in vegetables, fresh or frozen (without sugar) fruit and dairy products.  Stay away from carbs from white flour and white sugar. (bread, pasta, white rice, crackers, pretzels, cookies, cakes, white potatoes, boxed cereal, etc.) I'd also stay away from fast foods and highly processed foods - they are definitely low in nutrients but higher in calories with extra added sugar, salt and factory made chemicals.

I find eating "whole food" - meat, vegetables, fruit, dairy products to be the best option for me.  I eat non GMO and organic if the food has added chemicals/hormones, etc.  I am an avid label reader.  I look online at restaurants for nutritional value of their food.

It really took a change in my thinking and attitudes about food for me to change my lifestyle.  I look at food as nourishment and fuel for my body.  Food is no longer connected to my emotions and feelingsl

Wishing you the best,

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Tracy D.
on 5/15/15 7:45 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hi Angel - take a deep breath and RELAX!  I know how scary it is to finally hit "goal" and then have to figure out maintenance.  You don't need to add back bad carbs to get more calories in.

Actually, getting extra calories in is quite simple.  Over time you will be able to increase your protein portions (extra calories) and you want to start adding in healthy fats (extra calories).  Think nuts, avocadoes, olives, olive oil and the occasional taste of butter.  And add one low-carb fruit per day, like berries (extra calories).  Yes, you can do all those and not gain weight - promise!  

Try increasing your calories from 1000 per day to 1100 for Week 1; then go to 1200 calories for Week 2...and so on.  Allow yourself a 3-4 lb. comfort zone because normal people's weight will fluctuate that much on any given day. It's not cause to freak out.  When you see yourself getting out of that comfort zone THEN you will have found your maintenance level of calories.  

Congratulations on reaching goal and here's to a healthy and happy maintenance! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics