head hunger

sharronosia
on 5/14/15 2:28 pm

soo..... how long does head hunger last? Ive been doing pretty good but just wondering when will it go away.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/14/15 2:33 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Hmm, I am 16 months out right now -- I will let you know when head hunger goes away for me... 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

sharronosia
on 5/14/15 2:37 pm

Kat does it get any better than the beginning. Im only 7 weeks post op

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/14/15 2:44 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Yes, all joking aside, it does get easier.  It was really hard for me at first because I love to eat -- and I am a carb addict. Now the thoughts pop into my head, but they aren't as obsessive as they used to be.

As I found new things to do and new ways to handle stress, boredom, happiness, sadness -- (I use food for all occasions!) -- food started to be less tempting for me.  I also had a carb detox -- and not eating them makes life a lot easier for me.  

So, yes, it does get easier.  Right now you are in the hardest part: you can't eat much that you love -- but you still don't have the benefits of having lost a massive amount yet.  You have to trust that this time it will work -- which is really super hard since most of us haven't had good luck to this point.  It's a lot easier once you have lost a significant amount of weight -- you can fit into clothes you only dreamt of before, do things that you can't now -- you are far more inspired and gain faith that this time is different.  Suddenly the world has so much more to offer than food.

Yes, it does get easier.  Hang on friend! 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Karen M.
on 5/14/15 4:20 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I don't think it ever really goes away to be honest. I also think there are different kinds of head hunger. The one I deal with most often (and I'm 9 years post-op) is cravings for something. I don't feel "hunger" ever since surgery but OMG, the "want" for something lives on. The key is learning to tell the difference between a real hunger signal - need to fuel your body - and a "ohmygod I MUST HAVE THAT NOW" fake signal. Takes time, be patient with yourself while you're learning to tell the difference. :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Grim_Traveller
on 5/14/15 5:16 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I still have head hunger, but mostly it's situational. Certain activities, places, and events make me want particular foods. It took me decades to pick up those habits, it will take a long time to be completely free from them.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

selhard
on 5/15/15 4:59 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Some people on here call the head hunger moments, demon moments.  They likely will never go away.  There's an awful lot of people counting on us having the new-found strength WLS gives us to fight off those demons like never before.   The most important one is you. 

auntmimi
on 5/15/15 5:57 am

The greatest battle we will ever face during this journey is with out head, not our plate. :) Good Luck! 

Most Active