Being pregnant sucks

Dee.spunk
on 6/18/15 6:17 pm - Sacramento, CA
Let me start by saying I haven't been on here in probably over a year. I came to see the pregnancy board, but it docents seem to have to many people in there. And honestly, I just needed to vent. Anyways, I had surgery in 2011, lost about 165 lbs, have maintained, and after two years started trying to become pregnant. I lost the first three and finally this one has stuck. I'm 13 weeks! (Yay!!!) But being pregnant is not easy. I have nausea (which is the culprit of the rest of my troubles) Low blood sugar, I'm anemic, and I fell icky all around. I'm super happy to be pregnant, but feeling sick all the time is taking the joy away. I've always had low blood sugar, but this brings me way low (40's & 50's sometimes) I have to eat six times a day, super hard since I've been doing 3 meals since surgery, no snacking. I can't do carbs (I have reactive hypoglycemia) and my body is extra sensitive to them and I can't do sweets (major dumping). And the nausea!!! Ugh. taking my iron is a hassle. I know as soon as I take it I'll throw up. It makes me extra nauseous. And I've tried everything for the nausea all but prescription drugs because I don't want to risk anything.

Like I said, I'm happy, just miserable and I just needed to vent. Thanks for reading and sorry for such a miserable post. 😒

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

seattledeb
on 6/18/15 6:34 pm

The first 4 months of pregnancy I ate yogurt. Yogurt plain, yogurt with things in it...yogurt! After 4 months I couldn't look at it.

You may need to get your iron checked. Are you taking iron? Do you absorb it well?

Congrats on maintaining your weight loss.

Pregnancy does suck but it's also fun and also crazy!

Deb T.

Dee.spunk
on 6/18/15 7:00 pm - Sacramento, CA
I wish I craved something. But the last thing I want to do is eat. And I'm lactose intolerant so I can't do yogurt. Makes my tummy hurt bad! They're checking my labs once a month. I've always been anemic, but it's gotten worse cause I can't keep it down. They said if it gets worse well have to do infusions. Sometimes I feel fine, but today I feel like crap.

Jessca
on 6/18/15 7:19 pm
RNY on 04/20/15

All my pregnancies were prior to surgery so take what I say with a grain of salt ;) I figured out by the third pregnancy that the vitamins were what made me the most nauseous. And if I had an acid reducer that helped a lot too. I have basically no heart burn or other signs of excess acid now after surgery so I'm not sure that could be a contributor for you. Also definitely take the iron at bedtime and be fast asleep before it kicks in. That is what I did with my prenatals when I got wise about them causing the nausea and that's what I do now with my iron. What type of iron do you take? Also, how about soy yogurt? And if the nausea is severe I would highly recommend Zofran. I know it's ok after RNY because I had an rx when I was discharged (didn't need it though). It is considered safe during pregnancy. Being constantly nauseous or unable to get proper nutrition because of the nausea is far worse on your body and the baby than taking the medication. Se people swear by ginger, lemon and sea bands you've probably tried all those though.

HW 313 SW 273 CW 208

M1 - 25 M2 - 10 M3 - 12 M4 - 9 M5 - 5 M6 - 4

Dee.spunk
on 6/19/15 8:50 am - Sacramento, CA
I won't take the zofran because recent studies have shown it can cause miscarriage during the first trimester. I've already had three, and I took zofran for those three, so no zofran for me. I take my iron at bed time too, hoping it cause nausea. I take ferrous gluconate. It has never bothered me before, but I guess being pregnant makes me extra sensitive.

Jessca
on 6/22/15 11:03 pm
RNY on 04/20/15

You're in Sacramento, too? I don't know how I missed that in your OP.

During my first pregnancy I took Reglan and it helped for the nausea, maybe something to look into as an alternative to Zofran? It is contraindicated for people with depression, however, dunno if that's an issue for you. And I have taken ferrous gluconate and carbonyl iron and no tummy issues. The ferrous sulfate got to me though. 

HW 313 SW 273 CW 208

M1 - 25 M2 - 10 M3 - 12 M4 - 9 M5 - 5 M6 - 4

Ladytazz
on 6/18/15 7:27 pm

I understand how you feel.  My first pregnancy, long before WLS, was after years of trying and I couldn't be happier but I was sick as a dog.

I remember thinking around 6 weeks pregnant that it was a good thing I knew I was pregnant because otherwise I would think I was dying.

I've given birth 4 times and all my pregnancies were miserable...except when I felt those kicks and rolls and could even see a little foot pushing me from the inside out.  Magical and worth it all.  She says years later.

Some people sail through it and others are sick from day one but you know what?  The majority of them will go on to do it all over again, several times in some cases.

I remember pregnancy was also the only time I didn't feel guilty about what I ate.  If I tolerated it, I ate it.

I never felt fat when I was pregnant.  Now the day after the kid was born?  Then I felt fat.

Enjoy every moment, even the sick ones, because one day you will look back at it all and wish you could do it all over again.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Dee.spunk
on 6/19/15 8:52 am - Sacramento, CA
Thank you! I think this is what I needed to hear. That it's all worth it. Sometimes I just feel so sick. And I want this so bad! It's mixed emotions. Again, thank you.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/19/15 4:51 am

I am not pregnant...but I do deal with hypoglycemia and RH. 

Nuts and nut butter - NSA almond butter, not only helps with my hypoglycemia but also RH. As little as 1 tsp upon waking up prevents my BS to drop... And during the day...sometimes when I have to wait for a meal...or I am in a situation that I am stuck somewhere with not food I can eat. 

I carry individually packed natural almond butter. A life saver in a few situation. Jason brand. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

selhard
on 6/19/15 5:32 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

After a friend told me peanuts are not really a nut, rather a legume, she suggested switching from peanut butter to almond butter.  I am trying to like almond butter--especially hearing how well it helps with BS.  My challenging pregnancies were over 25 years ago...when I see a pregnant woman, I swear a twinge of sickness still comes over me to this day.  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views