Dense protein almost 3 months out.

melissasue1982
on 11/3/15 10:19 am
RNY on 04/06/15

I will be 7 months out on Friday, I still have trouble with dense protein! No matter how moist or how much I chew, it just never "sits" right in my pouch. I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE my meat! Not so much now. If I knew I could get away with not eating it (healthily) I totally would!

So, in short, I am no help to you.

HW: 328 Program start weight: 309 SW:275.8 CW: 154.6 (12/14/16)

Daisydoo02
on 11/3/15 10:53 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

At two years out, eggs still bother me, no matter how they are prepared. Chicken and tuna are my go to as they sit fine. Good steak filet's or Tbones are good if done to a "medium" doneness, melts in my mouth. Hamburger does not sit well with me and I rarely eat it. I was terrified to eat chicken at 3 months out because a few people I know tired it and it got stuck and they were in agony for hours, but I love chicken so when I tired it I weighted out my 3-4oz and then cut it into super small the pieces that were the size of my baby finger nail and used lots of "gravy/sauce".

I also use a lot of sauces, like Pad Thai sauce, Teriyaki sauce, BBQ sauce, ketchup that kind of thing. I even eat my canned tuna over a bed of lettuce with salad dressing over it. I also eat a lot of turkey burgers and use BBQ sauce. I often will take any meat and cut it up into bite size pieces, put some spaghetti sauce over it, and then good helping of some good parmesean cheese. I would prefer to eat steak for every meal but I just can't afford it. LOL. All great suggestions here, but slow cookers and making things like Chicken teriyaki over veggies so you have a "sauce."

I know you said you are chewing a ton, but when I was a fresh post op I remembering reading that someone would chew their food to the point of it turning to almost liquid in their mouth, then you know for sure its not getting stuck. Good luck, take it slow, its not a rush to eat these as long as you can get your protein from other sources, shakes, eggs, cheese, tofu you can slowly try again with the dense proteins. Trust me you will get there, it takes time but you will get there.

All the best!

Daisy

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

NYMom222
on 11/3/15 7:00 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes it is weird what agrees and doesn't agree with you... Most things started agreeing with me after 6 months. I found Beef and fish easiest from the beginning, except tuna which felt like a hairball in my throat. Still don't particularly like cold cuts. Maybe Ham but that is it. I get jealous when people on their menus say they make turkey cheese roll-ups- it sounds so easy but makes me gag. Chicken thighs are better than chicken breast, and some kind of sauce/gravy helps. When I go out, if I have eggs, I always tell them to cook it 'soft'...

Things change, don't worry...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

goldlove1
on 11/4/15 7:30 am

I am 3 months post op and have the hardest time with chicken. I often just eat seafood. As for beef the only beef I have had is what is in Wendy's chili. Other than that I am too scared to try it yet. I'm no expert but what I have done is if something upsets my tummy I leave it for a week or two and try it again later. If it still bothers me I'm not ready and will maybe try at 6 months or further down the road. Remember at 3 months you're still healing. There will be some things that are more bothersome than others. My NUT often tells me some things just might not ever sit right in my new tummy. Hang in there and good luck.

Goldlove RNY 8/18/15 5'3 HW:245 SW:235 CW: 175 GW:140

sor09
on 11/10/15 12:20 am, edited 11/9/15 4:19 pm

Wow, and hope you are feeling better soon. You'll have to experiment for what works for you now, and eventually get back to beef (maybe). I was the opposite. I only could eat beef, and in jerky form... A year later other meats. These days I am not too interested in beef, and I eat mostly fish and occasionally gamey meats. I can eat what ever but choose to do quality foods and less food like products.... meaning simpler foods.... Protein and dense veggies 3x a day as prescribe by my Bariatric department.