Help 12 days out RNY

nininn
on 11/14/15 4:44 pm - RI
RNY on 11/02/15

Hi,

(this is a repost, posted on Revision board yesterday with no responses)

I have questions..I had my band out a couple of years ago and just had RNY.  Lots of scar tissue to get around.

My question is, 12 days out, I don't really have pain anymore but I am exhausted to the point of only being able to get up and walk around for a little bit without feeling weak/tired.  Is this normal?

I am getting most of my protein and sipping water all day, taking my vitamins and still feeling like crap!  I don't feel sleepy tired but more lazy tired where it takes a lot of energy out of me.

I don't remember this with my band back years ago...any suggestions? 

Thanks!

"slow and steady wins the race..."

burgoya
on 11/14/15 5:02 pm

More water and more protein.  And cut yourself some slack.  You had major surgery twelve days ago.  You said yourself that was a lot of scar tissue to get around.  Try to walk a little further each day.  It will get better. 

capodo
on 11/14/15 5:03 pm - Chicago, IL
Hi nininn!

I had my surgery 13 years ago and was EXHAUSTED for weeks. Yes, your exhaustion can be totally normal. You have to keep in mind that you've just altered body dynamics inside my friend. I don't know if you had any pain meds in the hospital (I had the lovely morphine drip!) - but it takes time for this to flush out of your system too. High protein will help. Eventually your vitamin will help too. As always, if you're really worried, talk to your doctor/surgeon/staff! All the best...

"Sam.  Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."  --Optimus Prime, Transfomers2

"The Lord is close to the broken-hearted.  He rescues those who are crushed in spirit."  --Psalm 34:18a

NYMom222
on 11/14/15 6:22 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Everyone is different, some people the exhaustion lasts longer. While I felt great after one week, it remember getting very tired in the afternoons for about 3 more weeks. Make sure you are counting your protein and fluids. Not having enough fluid can make you tired as well.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Grim_Traveller
on 11/14/15 6:55 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It takes a while for the exhaustion to go away. You had major surgery! It will gradually get better.

Try to drink even more. Being even a little dehydrated will give you more bad symptoms than anything else.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

gracie88
on 11/15/15 5:45 am
RNY on 08/26/15

I was exhausted for a good three weeks. It gets better day by day. I'm almost 3 months out now and finally feeling more energy. Give yourself time. (And I wasn't a revision)

Seminar Sept 2014 - 221

First 6 month weigh in - November 2013 - 220

Surgery Day 8/26/15 - 199

Current Weight (9/1/16) 128.0  RNY  5' 2"

MonaLisaSmile
on 11/15/15 9:55 am - Canada

I was really tired for about the first 3 months.... and I slept fantastic at night.  By mid afternoon, I kinda felt like I could just fall over from exhaustion.  I walked a lot....but I also rested a fair amount.  You need it to heal.

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Catsi51
on 11/15/15 10:25 am

I'm 2 months out and still utterly exhausted. I mean just making a cup of tea wears me out to the point I need to lie down. I am also quite dehydrated because I am having great difficulty getting in all the required water, and I don't tolerate any of the protein powder/shakes I have tried. Also having trouble eating, so not getting ANY nutrition in. I'm pretty much living on ice chips right now. I'll probably be taking yet another trip to the out patient clinic this week for hydration. I am finding this whole experience to be challenging beyond anything I anticipated. Folks keep telling me it gets easier but I have yet to see any indication of that. I am kind of scared that I have ruined myself... it seems to me at 2 months out I ought to be able to eat at least some foods without bringing most things up - I also get really dizzy and nauseous after I eat to the point where i have to lie down for awhile.

I also had a band which was removed in 2012 and while I did experience a lot of trouble eating, nothing else was the same. I did not have this tiredness after the band, nor the nauseousness and weakness. I have to say, I was so excited to have this surgery and now it kinda sucks! Here's hoping everyone is right and it DOES get better - the sooner the better!!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views