3 weeks post op and not losing any weight at all!

divaofsongs
on 12/7/15 3:21 pm, edited 12/7/15 3:22 pm

Hello everyone, I am new here and hate to start my posts out like this but I am just so discouraged, I don't know what to do with myself. I am 3 weeks post op, had the gastric bypass on 11/19/2015, and have not lost a single pound since the day of my surgery. I lost almost 60 pounds the month before my surgery but since the day I came home from surgery, I have not lost a single pound and I am beginning to feel like a failure. I am eating less than 500 calories a day, sometimes not even that much, taking my vitamins and protein like I should. I just started on soft foods but I am keeping my carbs under 25 a day and have been since 6 weeks ago when I started my pre-op diet that I lost over 40 pounds on. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Has anyone here ever experienced something like this where they were not losing any weight at all in the beginning? I can't imagine this could last forever, I mean eventually the scale has to catch up to only eating 500 or less calories a day, right? I have PCOS and severe metabolic resistance, not sure if that matters or not. I appreciate any encouragement or similar stories any of you might be willing to share and thanks for listening.  

frhoffard
on 12/7/15 3:52 pm
RNY on 11/12/15

I am almost a month out (1 month anniversary Saturday) and I didn't have that problem.  I'm so sorry you are going through this but just keeping doing what you are supposed too; you'll start seeing results.  Have you tried taking your measurements, you may be losing inches and not pounds.

Keep it up; we've got this!

?Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.? ? Les Brown

divaofsongs
on 12/7/15 5:50 pm

I forgot about measurements so I just checked. I did my measurements 8 days ago and just did them again tonight after reading your post....I have lost some inches....3 inches off my stomach, 2 off my waist, and 4 off my chest in the past 8 days. I wonder if the scale stops moving when you are losing inches, at the end of the day, I couldn't care less if I lose the pounds, as long as the inches are coming off, lol, although a 36/24/36 woman weighing 350 pounds is not feasible, LOL. Thanks for the reminder on the measurements. I am just so discouraged, you would think that the inches off would equate to pounds off, too. 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/8/15 7:49 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Glad you're seeing progress. 

That 60 pound loss the month before surgery was huge - I wonder is some of that was water and that you are now losing the fat from that 60 pounds.  I am a year out and take measurements once a month.  It is good to have the data to look back on. 

Keep on keeping on!!  The weight will come off if you following directions.  I didn't think it would, I was such a diet failure. But it does come off - at one year post-op I can attest to that.  I was a scalaholic, so I will only let myself weigh once a week during the losing phase.  Otherwise, the normal variability would drive me crazy.  If you only weigh once a week - a 2 or 3 pound loss is super.  But if you weigh every day, you will be down 4 then up 2 then down then up . . .    Drove me crazzzzzy.  

Find what works best for you  (What would have worked best for me was having a fast forward button).

Take care,

Sharon

Soapy
on 12/7/15 3:57 pm
I stalled for three weeks starting the second week after my surgery. I ended up losing 130 pounds. So stay calm, stick to the plan and you will Lose.

divaofsongs
on 12/7/15 5:55 pm

This is what I need to hear, it gives me hope that this is not a permanent stall. I have struggled my whole life with losing weight, even on very low calories and monitored diet in a hospital setting for 2 weeks, I did not lose a single pound. I have been diagnosed with PCOS and severe metabolic resistance, the only way I have ever been able to lose any weight is by low carb and then it has to be less than 25 grams a day and I have to be in ketosis or I lose nothing. I have been in ketosis since November 1st. and was losing like crazy, until I had the surgery and then it was just like everything stopped! Not another pound lost since the surgery and I have been in ketosis the whole time, I even counted my carbs on the 2 weeks of full liquids, making sure I never went over 25 a day and made sure the ketostix was purple every day, and it was. I can't wait until I start to see progress on the scale. 

hollykim
on 12/7/15 4:04 pm, edited 12/7/15 8:03 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 7, 2015 at 11:21 PM Pacific Time, divaofsongs wrote:

Hello everyone, I am new here and hate to start my posts out like this but I am just so discouraged, I don't know what to do with myself. I am 3 weeks post op, had the gastric bypass on 11/19/2015, and have not lost a single pound since the day of my surgery. I lost almost 60 pounds the month before my surgery but since the day I came home from surgery, I have not lost a single pound and I am beginning to feel like a failure. I am eating less than 500 calories a day, sometimes not even that much, taking my vitamins and protein like I should. I just started on soft foods but I am keeping my carbs under 25 a day and have been since 6 weeks ago when I started my pre-op diet that I lost over 40 pounds on. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Has anyone here ever experienced something like this where they were not losing any weight at all in the beginning? I can't imagine this could last forever, I mean eventually the scale has to catch up to only eating 500 or less calories a day, right? I have PCOS and severe metabolic resistance, not sure if that matters or not. I appreciate any encouragement or similar stories any of you might be willing to share and thanks for listening.  

what is a day of eating like for you? Are you getting 64 oz of liquid a day?

divaofsongs
on 12/7/15 6:16 pm

Here is my typical day since I started soft foods, prior to starting soft foods last Thursday, I had 2 protein shakes a day with 30 grams each, a total of 60 grams of protein and 3 meals of 2 oz. of cream of chicken soup or sugar free jello. Other than that, I drank Splenda sweetened decaf iced tea and Crystal Light. Here is my typical soft food diet:

Breakfast: 1/2 scrambled egg

Mid Morning: 30 grams protein shake

Lunch: 3 oz. tuna with light mayo

Mid Afternoon: 30 grams protein shake

Dinner: 3 oz. baked Tilapia and 7 green beans

Evening Snack: 3 oz. sugar-free Jello

This is pretty much what and how I eat every day. I tried 2 oz of meatloaf and ground chicken but both made me very sick after the second bite. I had the Lap-Band for 7 years so I understand the concept of tiny bites and chew, chew, chew, which I did, but it was just too much for me. I have also had dumping syndrome 2 times already from the tuna with mayo, the fat made me dump, so I will have to be super careful with that since I am one of the people who dump on fat and sugar. I have kept track of my calories, fat, and carbs, and have never went over 500 calories, 25 carbs or 20 fat grams a day so I don't know what the hold up is. 

AmandaMCNoll
on 11/3/22 12:03 pm
RNY on 11/18/22

How did things work out for you? I'm in the same boat now.

Maria27
on 12/7/15 5:34 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

You lost over 40 pounds in six weeks! I don't know what weight you started at, but your body needs time to catch up. Large losses are typically followed by stalls. It's just the way our bodies work. As long as you stick to the program you will lose weight. Your body is going through a lot right now. I did not lose much the first few weeks after surgery. Hang in there and work the program.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Most Active
Recent Topics