Question for Those With Suspect/Actual Strictures or Ulcers

Talkingmountain
on 1/26/16 9:35 am
RNY on 12/28/15

I am one month post-op (RNY gastric bypass) and have started having symptoms that could suggest a stricture and/or a marginal ulcer. Everything I've read seems to say that endoscopy (tube w/tiny camera down your throat) is the "gold standard" for determining if you have either of these conditions.

However, my doctor is wanting me to go through an upper GI (studies have shown that these fail to find ulcers in their early stages fairly frequently).  I am reluctant to go through a third upper GI in a month simply because that is a lot of radiation in a short period of time.

So, my question for those of you who have ever had a suspected a stricture and/or an ulcer, did you go thru an Upper GI test first, or did you go straight to an endoscopy?

Thanks!

Quiltingnonnie
on 1/26/16 11:51 am

I ended up with ulcers 1 month post op. I was so sick and dehydrated. I was admitted on Friday , Saturday they did an endoscopy. I did not have an upper GI before.

AllisonW2016
on 1/26/16 12:07 pm
RNY on 12/01/15

I had a stricture that was diagnosed at 5 weeks post-op.  I had an endoscopy with dilation.  I did not have to go thru an upper GI test first.

Surgery date:  12/1/2015, Highest Weight: 248; Surgery Weight: 241; Current Weight 195; Goal Weight:  160

karin602
on 1/26/16 6:56 pm - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

I saw my primary described the pain. At first he ordered an ultrasound then ct scan both of which naturally didn't show anything. Bariatric surgeon said endoscopy which I had and showed the ulcer. Treated now with generic prilosec and had repeat endoscopy today. Doc says it's healed but keep on taking med and see him in two months. Still feeling pain tenderness in area. Don't know if that is normal and plan to check with gastro soon if it doesn't get better. Thinking it could just be nerves finishing the process but can't find anything on internet on topic. 

Karin

catwoman7
on 1/27/16 2:14 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I had two strictures - upper endoscopy both times (with balloon dilation).  I've never had an upper GI series.  I don't know why he wants to do that given if they find one while doing an endoscopy, they can "fix" it right on the spot.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?