Stress hurting my stomach

mherman89
on 1/27/16 5:50 pm

Hello all! Been a long time since I needed advice.

I'm 14 weeks post-op gastric bypass and last week, I had a panic attack (first time ever, so I had no idea that's what it was) in the middle of the night and was worried it was my stomach rupturing, etc. After a CAT scan and MRI, they determined there was nothing physically wrong with me. It was just stress. I just started anxiety medication, so I'm hoping this will go away soon.

Still though, I'm having pains in my stomach, right under my breastbone, feeling heavy weight and sometimes restricting my breathing; it feels like something is stuck (different from food stuck feeling though; I tried papaya enzyme, it didn't work). And when I don't feel that, I'm usually have gas/burps come up all the time.

Has anyone had similar experiences with gas coming up and/or chest/stomach pains related to stress? If so, how did you deal with it? Any suggestions are welcome!

RNY 10/22/15; HW 307; SW 264; CW 218; GW 160

terri101b
on 1/28/16 4:54 am - Brunswick,, OH

I would call your Dr and get in to see him,,,i also had the same with burping 24/7..here I had a blockage in my esophagus and they found 2 ulcers and another hernia,,,may not be the same for you,but get it checked out

mherman89
on 1/28/16 3:10 pm

Yeah, I already went to the hospital to see my doctor... Stayed overnight for observation after they didn't find anything physically wrong. I think it's just stress. Was hoping to see if anyone else had experience with stress-induced pain... Thanks! :-/

RNY 10/22/15; HW 307; SW 264; CW 218; GW 160

selhard
on 1/28/16 9:17 pm, edited 1/28/16 7:39 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I've accepted a final offer on my house and will be moving after nearly thirty years.  Change, stress, and anxiety is in my near future, so I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks to your post, it has prompted me to consider medication to get through it.  I also plan long walks and suggest that for you, too.