When can I go back to work

Whoogirl
on 1/28/16 6:34 pm
RNY on 02/02/16

My surgery is scheduled for 02FEB and my doctor has said 6 weeks off from work. I work from home on a computer. I can't imagine that much time off from work is needed. What have others had for time off before going back to work?

Kris G.
on 1/28/16 6:47 pm

I had surgery on 1/13 and I go back on 2/8, i also work at home on the computer, other than getting tired throughout the day I feel like I could go back any time now. I have not had any pain at all. 

Patrice
(PatriceMarieV1 on...

on 1/28/16 6:51 pm
RNY on 03/11/15

Everyone is different, but my procedure went really smoothly and, although I took a week off, I could have gone back in about 3 days (desk job).

However, many doctors want their patients to take at least 2 weeks so that you can focus on making sure you are getting enough protein and water in, as well as just adjusting overall to your new lifestyle.

White Dove
on 1/28/16 6:54 pm - Warren, OH

I had surgery on Tuesday and went back to work the following Monday at a desk job.  My surgeon said six weeks off also.  I could have gone back sooner.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

mljohns
on 1/28/16 6:57 pm
DS on 01/27/15

Took 5 weeks off.  Dr. Suggested 6 weeks. Although I was able to go back to my desk job, I was tired and wiped out at the end of the day. The extra time also gave me a chance to get to the soft food stage,so taking lunch to work wasn't a hassle.

Whoogirl
on 1/28/16 7:17 pm
RNY on 02/02/16

This has been great info. I started to freak out when I heard 6 weeks. Wasn't sure I could handle it financially. I hope I do as well as some of you.

Racewalker48
on 1/28/16 8:54 pm
RNY on 02/17/14

My surgeon wanted me to take 2 weeks.  I work from home, but travel also for work.  In retrospect, it was just enough time.

RNY0615
on 1/28/16 9:00 pm

I didn't feel strong enough until about the third week,  but I have to be pretty active at work.  

cabin111
on 1/28/16 9:00 pm

I tell people who go back to work (post RNY) to try a couple of 1/2 days (4-6 hours)...See how you do.  I know that many days, during rapid weigh loss, you will want a serious nap in the afternoon!!  My 2 cents...

G2GAWAY
on 1/28/16 9:52 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

I took one week off, worked from home the second week, and left an hour early each day during week 3.  You will be very tired, but you can rest and nap. I came home and napped every night for a few weeks.  It wasn't until about the middle of week 6 that I started getting my energy back.  Just do what you can when you feel like it and rest when you need to.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 431 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 387 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views