My dietitian doesn't judge me

Cheremiste
on 2/27/16 6:20 am

...and it's great.

I've struggled with food, I'm trying, but some days it's really hard and I eat what I probably shouldn't. However, yesterday I swallowed my pride and usual "I can do it all myself/don't need to ask for help" and I asked for help. I called my dietitian at my surgeon's office and left her a message about my struggles and fears that if I wasn't perfect on the food she would cancel my surgery.

She called me back a bit later and we had a nice chat. She was very supportive and didn't judge me at all. She said, "I'm glad you called because it shows you're willing to change. The people who worry me are the ones who *don't* call or don't show at appointments."

I confessed that my first instinct was to lie to her about my food. But I screwed up my courage and was honest with her.

I see her Monday. I just wanted to say that for those out there who struggle like me, that there is hope and people willing to help. You just need to reach out. :)

39 y/o woman | Height 5'11"| SW 301 | CW 233 | GW 175

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/16 7:30 am

Good for you making an effort to change. It is scary sometimes when trying to figure out meals in the beginning. I think we have taken care of everyone and now we are trying to take care of ourselves.

Best wishes to you. 

dog_hair_dinner
on 2/27/16 10:48 am
RNY on 03/01/16

I see a few dieticians at the hospital I go to.  They're all very nice, with the exception of one that I swear hates me now. Everything went well until I told the lady I was trying out low-carbing (this was pre-op).  She immediately became angry with me and went into this HUGE rant about how I need carbs.  I wasn't dead-set on the low-carbing, so I agreed with her immediately and planned to implement the changes she asked me to make.  She kept arguing with me as though I was not agreeing, although I was.  She put a red flag on my file that I was a high-risk because of this. 

It was all resolved with my next visit with another dietician, but what a weird experience with a dietician.  I feel badly for anyone that confesses to low-carb dieting with her that has less of a thick skin than me.

Grim_Traveller
on 2/27/16 1:27 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It really sounds like you're on the right track. You have an attitude that should really serve you well.

I'm glad you have a good dietition. There are some out there, and doctors, that don't know much about nutrition and vitamins as they apply to us.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Deanna798
on 2/27/16 3:19 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I struggled so much before surgery with my pre-op diet.  It is so HARD.  I've struggled for years.  I still struggle now after surgery, it's just that I have the ability to stop and think.  My mistakes aren't nearly as damaging as they once were, and I don't have the ability to just forget about the "diet" and go back to my old ways.  My small pouch will not let me be the person I was before.

You are very brave for admitting you need help.  I didn't do it at first, and definitely not pre-op.  I feel like I have taken the step now, but it's something that I work at.  I force myself to be honest and real about what I'm putting in my mouth.  Even now it's hard, but I make myself do it.  We are all works in progress and none of use are perfect.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Loveimoe
on 2/28/16 8:41 am - Leesburg, VA

When is your surgery?I have to wait for six months before insurance will help. I would love to have someone sharing the same experience as me to support each other. If your interested let me know. I really need support and will offer mine in return. As I know this will be hard but we'll worth the effort. Patricia Spencer

Loveimoe
on 2/28/16 8:51 am - Leesburg, VA

When is your surgery?I have to wait for six months before insurance will help. I would love to have someone sharing the same experience as me to support each other. If your interested let me know. I really need support and will offer mine in return. As I know this will be hard but we'll worth the effort. Patricia Spencer

Most Active
Recent Topics