Struggling with milky protein drinks

Petetrox
on 3/25/16 4:49 pm

While I am pre op, I am sampling a variety of protein drinks. As a child I was allergic to milk and although I outgrew the allergy, I have a true aversion to it. OK so I trhow up if it touches my lips. Anyway I amy trying New Whey protein shots tonight and they aren't as disgusting as the protein waters I have tried. And...3.8 oz contains 42g of protein, 0g sugar,and 2g carbs. I can handle this I think. 

Does anyone have an opinion about this product? I figure if I can drink this and keep it down...WINNING!

HW 330

Surgery 7/21/16

Maria27
on 3/25/16 5:13 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

The first type of protein in the ingredient list is a collagen protein. Collagen protein is not a good source or protein and not the type of protein that we need. It appears that this product throws in some whey protein just so that they can put it on the label. Since that is the case, there is no way to know how much actual protein we can absorb from this product, so I would recommend that you keep looking for something better. Avoid anything with collagen protein as an ingredient. It reduces the cost of manufacture while compromising the quality of the protein.

I can't stand milk either. I drink premier protein drinks and mix whey protein with unsweetened almond milk without issue.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Petetrox
on 3/25/16 5:28 pm

Thank you Maria. I feared the answer would be that. The search continues...

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/25/16 5:31 pm, edited 3/25/16 10:35 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Unfortunately, as Maria has already explained, the protein in New Whey Protein shots is not a good source of protein for us.  The majority of it is collagen protein -- This is the main protein of connective tissue in animals -- collagen becomes a gelatin used in many foods such as Jell-O type desserts.  Collagen and gelatin are poor-quality protein sources since they do not contain all the essential amino acids that the human body requires - they are not complete proteins. Not only is this a significantly inferior form of protein to begin with (compared to whey or whey isolate), but it doesn't even have the necessary amino acids so your body could absorb it anyhow!  If you see the word "collagen" in the ingredient list -- especially if first -- RUN from that source.  It's crap.

That said, you may want to try Synthax Nectar in their fruity flavors.  I used Roadside Lemonade, Fuzzy Navel, Lemon Tea, Caribbean Cooler, Twisted Cherry and Strawberry Kiwi mixed with water.  I usually combined it with some like-flavored Mio or Crystal light to water it down, too.  You can get sample/single serve pouches before committing to a huge tub at Vitamin Shoppe and GNC.  One good thing to know about buying at Vitamin Shoppe: if you buy a flavor and hate it they will let you return it with your receipt and the nearly full container.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Petetrox
on 3/25/16 5:42 pm

Wow Kat! I didn't realize the difference in the two types of protein. I will look at the Syntax flavors. I am learning so muvh from you all and I so appreciate your knowledge.

HW 330

Surgery 7/21/16

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 3/26/16 5:08 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Vit Shoppe has become my fav.   They usually have free samples of something and i have sampled new protein sources.  They have also opened some products and made them the next free samples so i could try them.  There is a store near me and i never knew.  they also have freq buyer card that is FREE - GNC's has an annual charge. 

They also have high prot puddings etc - but check the carb counts - the carbs on some products is higher than i would expect

Sharon

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/25/16 5:35 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I also wanted to add:  be very wary of buying too much before surgery.  Many, if not most people find that their taste and preferences change considerably right after surgery.  Thus, even though you may adore something pre-op (or oppositely, hate it!) you might feel completely differently directly after surgery.  Just a heads-up!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Petetrox
on 3/25/16 5:44 pm

Thanks. I feel like I need something in the house for a couple of days post op, but I won't stock up.

HW 330

Surgery 7/21/16

Kala2032
on 3/25/16 11:21 pm - Marrero, LA
RNY on 02/08/16

I know they have ISOPURE ready to drink bottles. I haven't seen it talked about. I am not sure if its still recommended but i do know its 40g of protein in the bottle and its too expensive for me. I would refer to your binder if you have one. I know it wasn't on the list of pre approved list so that may be a signal. But still You can ask your nutritionist if thats ok if you like fruity drinks or things like that instead of Milky stuff and if you are willing to spend a little extra. 

Good luck with the Pre op liquid diet. 

Height 5' 10, HW: 538 lbs 05/2015, SW: 444 lbs 2/2016, CW:213lbs 8/2017

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 3/26/16 5:14 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

If you like ISOPURE and i do - it's cheaper by the case of 12.  No cholesterol. so my mom will drink it.  I like it - crisp flavors but a lot of people hate it.  One bottle has 40 gms of prot - so 2 bottles a day, at about $5-6 a bottle - gives all protein and half your liquids. not bad.

Sharon

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?