Back home and burping

Cheremiste
on 4/6/16 4:16 pm

I got home from the hospital around 1pm. After taking some pain meds and sleeping for 2 and 1/2 hours, I felt much better.

Every time I've eaten/drunk, I start getting gassy and burping; I am passing gas from below but not much. I emailed my dietitian about it but is this a sign that I've gotten full? I got through about 12 oz of protein shake around 1:30 and 6 oz of tomato soup (with Unjury unflavored protein stirred in) before the gas happened.

39 y/o woman | Height 5'11"| SW 301 | CW 233 | GW 175

Daisydoo02
on 4/6/16 5:34 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hi Cheremiste,

Congrats on being hone and feeling better!  For me a big burp was then and still is to this day "my signal" that I am full.  Its really really key this early out that you don't get "full" you just weight and measure all your liquids and food.  12oz of protein shake and 6oz of soup is really great for your first days, I hope that was over a few hours?  Remember your nerves were cut, and you are swollen and you can't "feel" anything down there. Please stick to a "T" your post op eating plan that your centre gave you. Lots of walking, napping, drinking liquids and don't let the pain get away from you, if you need pain meds take them.

Don't hesitate to come here for support and guidance that is why we are here!  Welcome to the losers bench!! Best of luck!!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

cabin111
on 4/6/16 7:40 pm

You lucky dog!!  I mean it!!  For the first six months post RNY I could not burp...Some people (very few) can never burp again.  I know it's a problem now...But it will soon be a blessing.  Brian

cspotrun
on 4/6/16 7:46 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

depending how fast you drank those liquids, it may be that you just swallowed air and are burping.  12 ounces at one sitting is a lot though.  i was told post op to drink one ounce every 15 minutes, and that was barely manageable.  everyone is different, but just be careful in case you are maybe going too fast.

welcome home and good luck to you!

Karen   

Sunflower316
on 4/6/16 9:38 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

This could also be the gas they filled your abdominal cavity with during the surgery.   Trust me, it's a good thing to burp. ?

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 155 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views