Stomachache/the addictive voice is so strong

Goldyglitterhips
on 5/7/16 5:41 am
RNY on 03/01/16

RIGHT?!   

Same here.  At this point (9 weeks without a dumping episode) I'm more scared of finding out that I'm NOT a dumper than I am of trying new things that could result in dumping.  UGH... I was soooo counting on being a dumper. :(

OP I feel you, I've had that voice in my head my whole life - way to go working on getting a handle on it now,  I wish I had started sooner!

The Salty Hag
on 5/7/16 12:42 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Well, no dumping is good if you've been keeping added sugar to a minimum, but if you've tested the waters and haven't dumped yet, I'd say you aren't-or that it takes a greater amount than you've had to this point. There is a vet here, a very smart lady, who feels that with enough sugar, most of us have the potential for dumping, and it just depends on our bodies what that number is. With some, it's a low number; with others...it's higher. 

Early out, I just assumed I dumped. It made me more vigilant to avoid added sugar in food. I got confirmation of my dumping ability at 6 months out when I stupidly allowed myself three small bites of apple pie. I wanted to curl up and die. It is an awful experience. 

So tell yourself over and over " I dump...I dump...I dump." and maybe it will help you keep away from trying the bad stuff. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

RNY_elizabeth
on 5/6/16 8:33 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

You are not dumb. You made a bad choice that you regretted afterward.  That is not the same as "dumb" or "weak" or any other negative self talk your internal voice may be saying to you. 

If another person on this site posted that they had been 'dumb' and ordered that drink and were upset by it....what would you say to that person?  

I bet you would have grace for them, offer them encouragement, send a supportive smiley face, and think "Wow, they are really working hard on this. I admire that."

Soooooo.... don't you deserve to give yourself that same loving support?

Yes.  You do.

You are doing this the best you can at this time with the tools you now have.  Give yourself a gold star and hang in there until you get to see the counselor. You are going to be successful.

~Elizabeth

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

Heavens2Betsy
on 5/6/16 9:08 am
RNY on 02/29/16

I'm right there with ya in the same boat - I'm a food junkie too!  I've been working on this with my therapist plus I just changed depression meds too.  Both are helping me.  I have always pushed the limits and I got really used to it.  I found myself saying, oh... this won't matter much, and get what you want - you deserve it.  I can justify anything food-wise in my head; going off plan was my norm (if I even had a plan) in the past!  Stalling out on my weight loss this last month has been a wake up call for me.  It was time for me to get 100% honest about what I was eating and why I wanted to eat it.  I've committed myself now to honesty and accurate tracking of every bite on MFP.  Plus, any time I have a craving or start trying to justify something not on my plan, it helps me to be 100% honest about it - I post it in the comments on MFP, tell the people in my life what I want and why, send an e-mail to somebody whenever the urge hits (even my therapist says I can e-mail that stuff to her as often as I need to).  The honesty is helping me own up to what I used to cover up, and it's true, the truth is setting me free.  I've started losing again, and that's making me feel soooo much better!  If you use MyFitnessPal and like to friend me, I'm "BethyAnny" and I'm always looking for people who will understand my need for complete honesty.

Maybe take the chance and talk to your parents.  Explain that you need to be 100% honest about those cravings and this is new for you - you've never done tat before, and that you're not looking for their judgement or disapproval, but ask them to just remind you to stick to your plan.  It might help!  Hang in there!

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

Grim_Traveller
on 5/6/16 10:31 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm a junkie. I still log everything I eat, because it keeps me aware of what, and how much, I'm eating. And it helps me stick to the bigger plan.

Things are easier now than they will eventually be, believe it or not. Over time, you will learn your limits -- how much sugar or other simple carbs you can eat without getting sick, how large a portion you can eat, etc. And your mind will convince you to eat closer to those limits. It's one of the things that cause regain.

Don't test the waters. Try harder to avoid that crap from Starbucks, and other triggers. The longer you can avoid those traps, the better off you'll be.

Therapy is a great idea. Sadly, this only gets harder.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Lovely_Caprice
on 5/6/16 3:51 pm

That is sad - you are only cheating yourself.

Lovely_Caprice
on 5/6/16 3:57 pm

I forgot to add - we are all here because of health issues.  Being overweight shows that we eat/ate too much.  People know that we can't fool them either.  So why do people after WLS continue this route and try to fool people?  I don't understand.  Can one explain.

sheriberi29
on 5/12/16 4:48 pm - Cleveland, TN

I'm only 9 days out and i totally understand what you are going through. Thank you for having the courage to post this. I was just thinking.....hmmm my husband is outside and I could try a crispy peice of his garlic toast and he wouldn't be disappointed in me bc he wouldn't know.... Then I thought " you ding bat!! You did not go through this for others!"  I have to remember that I did it for me. It's very hard, I thought it would be a little easier after surgery but it's not. I know it's a tool and I gotta work it, sometimes we just have to face our demons and be stronger! I'm committed but I'm with you on understanding the voice! 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 60 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 506 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 580 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 302 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 86 views
Recent Topics