pre-op scope

CathyV
on 5/14/16 11:09 am

Hello!

I have my first appointment with the bariatric clinic on Monday! Woohoo! They called on Friday and wanted to know if I would like to go ahead and have my pre-op scope done on the same day. I said sure. I hung up, and then wondered what the heck I agreed to. bwaha! This is an upper gi? I'm guessing? A scope down the esophagus into the stomach? What do they give you for that? They did say I would be able to drive myself home. I am getting....something....right?

MonaLisaSmile
on 5/14/16 12:44 pm - Canada

I have a "big time" gag reflex, so I opted to be put out for mine (definitely cannot be driving afterwards)  But I know several people who have had it done without and had no problem.  Not sure if they use some sort of numbing spray or muscle relaxer ??????

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

chassibi
on 5/14/16 1:36 pm

I was put out for my scope as well. Couldn't drive myself home. 

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

hollykim
on 5/14/16 4:32 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 14, 2016 at 6:09 PM Pacific Time, CathyV wrote:

Hello!

I have my first appointment with the bariatric clinic on Monday! Woohoo! They called on Friday and wanted to know if I would like to go ahead and have my pre-op scope done on the same day. I said sure. I hung up, and then wondered what the heck I agreed to. bwaha! This is an upper gi? I'm guessing? A scope down the esophagus into the stomach? What do they give you for that? They did say I would be able to drive myself home. I am getting....something....right?

I was put to sleep. I would totally not have one without twilight sleep. And I could  not drive for the rest of the day. Someone had to show themselves to drive me before the test would be done and be seen before discharge.

CathyV
on 5/14/16 4:40 pm

oh man...now I'm wishing I had asked more questions. They called Friday afternoon and I was driving in a van full of kids, so it was hard to think. I have to be there 7:45 Monday morning, so not really any time to find out now! 

Kathyjs
on 5/14/16 5:23 pm

I bit something was like size of a marble and throat was totally numb. I was so scared and ended up being no big deal at all

CathyV
on 5/14/16 5:29 pm

really, just numbing meds? I'm not nervous about it in general...if I don't feel any discomfort or gag like crazy I'll be ok with it.

Kathyjs
on 5/15/16 6:28 am

No gagging. I know just how you feel. I was so upset, I thought omg put me to sleep and afterwards I laughed at my fear. You will be fine

Most Active
Recent Topics