I need to walk!

Sunqueen15
on 5/14/16 10:59 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

I haven't been doing too bad with the eating and drinking thus far...but I need to walk! Everyone says walk walk walk... but no one warned me I would still feel so lazy. My RNY was on March 21st. I read the posts that exclaim everyone feels so much more energy, I'm still waiting for mine to kick in! I'd lay in bed and sleep all day if I can on my days off. I feel like I'm cheating myself and the weight could be coming off faster but those thoughts aren't enough to get my butt in gear! I also have a 5K to walk/run on June 4th and this isn't looking good. Time to shape up!! 

Laura in Texas
on 5/15/16 4:59 am

It took me six months for my energy to kick back in. For some of us, it just takes longer.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

White Dove
on 5/15/16 5:19 am - Warren, OH

For the first months I drove to the mall everyday and walked the concourse while looking at the great clothes I was planning to fit into.

A fitness tracker will be a big help to you, if you don't already have one.  It keeps me motivated and honest to track my daily steps and see the results on my phone and computer.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/15/16 6:04 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I just wanted to add that you aren't cheating yourself.  If your body needs rest -- it should get it.  Exercise contributes so little to actual loss.  Honest.  It's really all about the food.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

sheriberi29
on 5/15/16 7:32 am - Cleveland, TN

I'm in the same boat. I mentioned it to my bariatric dr and he said get your " daily 10" he explained that he expects you to get in 10 minutes of excercise apart from your daily routine, not to lose the weight, but to begin to create structure , good habits. He understood that I was tired throughout the day and said my body was using a lot of energy to heal and adjust to my dietary changes and recover from the trauma of surgery. He said that once your body reaches its new lower weight "set point" that the habits you created will help you keep that "set point" I know that every surgeon differs on opinion but I just wanted to let you know how mine explained it. It made sense to me in the office but I don't know if I'm describing it to you in a way that makes sense . 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/16 8:22 am

I was very sedentary prior to my RNY. Afterward, it was quite a challenge to get any meaningful exercise time in. I began to systematically develop strategies to make myself move more to get it started.

I would purposely start checking the mail 2 hours early, every 15-20 minutes I would check again. And that little bit extra moving was enough to spurn on more. Build up to 15 minutes walking by starting out 2 minutes of solid walking, then increase it by 30 seconds to a minute each subsequent time you walk. You will be at 30 minutes of hardcore walking so fast, it will amaze you.

I don't ever promise people here that something will work or will not. But if you follow this strategy, you will be walking 1 or 2 miles in the morning easy. You will find yourself waking a bit early, chomping at the bit to start your walk. It will help you feel better, but it will not lose you any weight unfortunately.

Best of luck.

Sunqueen15
on 5/15/16 11:56 am
RNY on 03/21/16

Thank you! I find these replies to be very helpful, helpful in a way that I can stop beating myself up so much. I was beginning to feel like a failure because of my lack of walking. I work 3rd shift, twelve hours for a manufacturing company. I am a supervisor so I choose to sit in my office more than I'd like because I always feel tired. On my days off (which is 3-4 days a week), Im productive with house work and responsibilities but I dont make the time for walking, quite frankly it even makes me exhausted thinking about it most days. I would love to wear something like a fit bit but that falls under the jewelry policy and I cannot have it on my wrist. I always have my phone on me but Im not sure how accurate that would be in my pocket. If anyone has any advice on phone apps that have helped them, let me know. Maybe it would be a good start to set a small step-count goal. Thanks again everyone! :-)

Laura in Texas
on 5/15/16 1:19 pm

Get a Fitbit Zip. It clips on and you cn get a new one on ebay for $40 (I think they are regularly $59 in stores). I started with the Zip and still wear it when I don't want to wear my other one on my wrist.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

NYMom222
on 5/15/16 12:55 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

In the beginning I considered power-shopping at Christmas, and dancing in my kitchen exercise. It wasn't until I lost 100lbs that I really started to 'exercise'....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

karin602
on 5/15/16 1:34 pm - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Start off easy and strive to do a bit more each day even if it's only one more step. There is a fitting that clips on to a pocket sleeve pretty much anywhere so you could possibly clip it to something like your bra and be okay with the jewelry policy while still keeping track. I work hard to get in the 10000 I strive for and more when I can. Use the firing to log on each day as well as my health insurance has Rally that posts challenges and keeps track of the miles. You earn rewards that you can use in raffles. That's thru United healthcare. Even tho walking doesn't necessarily make you lose it does build muscle which does burn more calories than fat! Good luck in getting going. You may find the more you do the more energy you have.

Karin

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 343 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?