can protein shakes cause swelling?

CathyV
on 5/29/16 8:23 pm

I am waiting for my surgery date...the clinic has me using one protein shake a day as a meal supplement as well as taking two chewable multis. Can the protein shakes cause swelling? My ankles and feet are significantly swollen. I don't typically do this except at the end of pregnancy. It is quite uncomfortable at the end of the day. I have been wondering why this is happening and thinking of the shakes...it's the only change I've made, the shake and the vitamins. 

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

Sally146
on 5/29/16 9:24 pm

I'm not sure but I feel you need to check with your doctor ASAP. 

Protein in shakes caused me to have what very much seemed like dumping syndrome. I've tried different brands and always make sure they contain 0 sugar and 0 carbs. Yet nothing seemed to work for me. So my doctor asked me to stop all protein shakes and concentrate on protein from food.. I'm still not able to get in min daily requirement of protein but my doctor says that's fine. 

Hope all all goes well for you 

White Dove
on 5/30/16 5:43 am - Warren, OH

There may be an ingredient in the shakes causing swelling.  Are you also getting enough water?  There are many different protein shakes.  Check the sodium content on the one you are using.  Try a different shake with lower sodium and see if that helps.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Eggface
on 5/30/16 8:42 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Maybe you are allergic to something in one of the new items... additive or filler in the vits, coloring or something or a component in the shake, the type of milk maybe? 

I'd ask the Dr. for sure... you'll want to get a handle on whatever it is prior to surgery. It could be unrelated to your dietary changes and you wouldn't want an underlying health issue to show up on pre-op tests and delay things (or worse go untreated going into a major surgery.) 

Hope it is an easy fix,

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/30/16 10:47 am

You may be alleric to something in the shake or vitamins... I would stop both of them for 2 days, and if the swelling is still there - you would know. If the swelling goes down - then try skipping the shake for 2 days... But take the multi. Then switch.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/16 3:27 pm, edited 5/30/16 8:27 am
RNY on 11/22/16

How is the weather where you are?  I notice that I swell a bit in my feet when its hot out and I haven't drank enough water.

Most Active
Recent Topics