Hernia?

readerchick
on 6/13/16 7:37 pm - Canada

Two weeks out and I think I might have given myself a hernia helping my mom with her suitcase!! She was leaving after helping me with my daughter for the last two weeks. 

My my stomach was relatively smooth until after the suitcase lifting. Now there is a small divet around my largest incision. It doesn't hurt. 

I am probably just being a hypochondriac!! 

Anyone actually get one from lifting after surgery? 

Have a great night 

jaime 

chassibi
on 6/14/16 3:02 am

I was given specific instructions not to lift until cleared and I followed them. I would definitely recommend you call your surgeon if you don't have an appointment coming up very soon. Hernias are a common post op complication of abdominal surgery due to the weakening of the abdominal muscles after being cut. 

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

sheriberi29
on 6/14/16 3:31 am - Cleveland, TN

Definatley see your dr. You could have done something internally that could be more concerning than a hernia . I hope not. I know it's easy to forget your not supposed to lift... Especially if your feeling good....and Especially when it comes to your mom picking up a suitcase. ( or your little ones reaching for mommy ) I had to put little stools stacked up so my babies could crawl into their beds and into my lap. 

good luck to ya 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

readerchick
on 6/14/16 10:09 am - Canada

I was told not to lift either, but my two year old makes that a little difficult. My mom who was helping me out, had neck surgery and can't lift much more than me. What a pair. 

I call my dr's office spoke in detail with the nurse practitioner. She said if it doesn't hurt (which it doesn't) then I am ok. Even if it is a hernia there is nothing they could do to fix it now. She said just stop lifting!!!!!! 

If it gets worse I will certainly go to the doctor immediately!! 

Thanks for the advice folks! 

Jaime 

selhard
on 6/14/16 8:25 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

In the quest for a better, healthier, new you, please consider putting your concerns at high priority and get checked out.  If not interested in getting checked out, then please consider wearing an abdominal velcro band to lessen stress on your midsection.  Good Luck.

readerchick
on 6/15/16 3:40 am - Canada

Good morning, 

as I said above I called the surgeons office and spoke with the nurse. She explained what was happening and told me that a visit was not required at this time. I would never refuse medical care! 

Thanks for the concern! I might look at extra abdominal support - good idea. But as a single mom of a toddler I don't always have another solution. 

Happy wednesday! 

jaime 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 391 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 403 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?