Bowel Obstruction

Demeatra Reason
on 7/29/16 7:03 pm - Garland, TX

Hello Everyone,

I am not sure of you all remember when I posted earlier this week about being on all liquids, well I did have a gastic ulcer.

But to make things worse, yesterday morning, Wednesday afternoon, I started hurting really bad and throwing up. Lasted all night. So Thursday morning, I called 911 and was rushed to ER. They did a MRI and found nothing (WEIRD). So they sent me home with pain meds. Yesterday afternoon the pain got worse and I started dry heaving. I called them back and they told me to come back. This time they did a CT with contrast. They found that my bowel was obstructed, so they did an emergency surgery to correct the problem. Needless to say, I feel a lot better.

WORD OF ADVICE: when you think something is out of the norm, please go to ER. The doctor told me that if I would not have come back with the same pain, I probably would not here right now.

selhard
on 7/29/16 7:34 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Please share details:   where was your obstruction, how it was fixed, open or lap surgery, how long you were in the hospital, how recovery is going, and words of advice from the medical staff how to avoid further problems, if any?  The eight holes made during my emergency bowel obstruction/hernia surgery made for some very tough recovery weeks needing more help than after RNY surgery.  Like you, I feel lucky to be here.  Complications do have a way of keeping me mindful.  Mindful and thankful.  

Demeatra Reason
on 7/30/16 5:18 am - Garland, TX

Hello Selhard,

The onstruction was in my small intestine. When he went in he said that my small intestine was wrapped around a hernia. It made four incisions and went in laproscopic. My suregery was at 5 am i woke up in recovery around 1030 am. I feel soo much better. I have pain but its from the small incisions. He has me off of wor****il next friday. No lofting more than 10 lbs. Im on liquids and soft foods until i go back and see the doctor.

Im like you soooooo thankful still to be here. Tjat was an eye opener. I have NEVER felt that kind of pain before.

PulchritudinousGirl
on 7/29/16 7:39 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

Thank you for letting us know.  I'm so glad they were able to figure out what was wrong with you and fix it.  I hope you feel better soon.

RNY 3/21/2016 Highest Weight 232, Goal Weight 135, Current Weight 126

March-20.9, April-15.7, May-11.6, June-13.9, July-7.9, August-7.4, September-7.4, October-6.0, November-5.7, December-5.5

Save

Demeatra Reason
on 7/30/16 5:19 am - Garland, TX

Thank you ?

chassibi
on 7/31/16 6:57 am

Prayers for a quick recovery. Glad they found it! 

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

sicilygrl2
on 10/25/16 7:23 pm - CA

I just recently had small bowel intussusception which ended up cutting off the blood supply this happened 51/2 yrs post laporscopic rny, the surgeon had no idea what cause it but had to remove a foot of small bowel and to a revision to my rny. Since surgery which has been exactly one month I have been experiencing severe left upper quadrant pain at my pouch I have gone back to er and was admitted again for one week for acute pancreatitis but even that the doctors could not explain what caused it or why this was happening to me. Since this all started I have been terrified it will happen again   This all started on 9/25 I wok up at 5 am with severe epigastric pain that would not go away and kept getting worse finally had my husband take me to local er by 10 they did ct with and without contrast and saw the intussusception of coarse I'm Kaiser so I had to be transferred they didn't do surgery till almost 7 that night when they went in to pull the intestine apart they found that the intestine was dead. Needless to say worst experience of my life   Now scared with any abdominal pain when to go to er. Still having difficulties passing stools even with lacatives and stool softners