advice from vets

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/31/16 2:40 pm

8 years post - I still have to peel almost anything that has tough skin. I just can't digest them very well. I Even peel tomatoes. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Daisydoo02
on 8/31/16 3:27 pm, edited 8/31/16 12:00 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

At 4 or 5 months out I would not eat fruit.  Its rare, very rare I even eat it now at just shy of 3 years, its just too many calories and sugar and no protein at all, to me a waste of good calories I could be putting towards my protein. I would not encourage anyone under a year to eat fruit or veggies.  Its about PROTEIN.  I don't think 300-400 calories is extremely low, its low for the OP as she is 5 months but not extremely low.  I looked back at MFP when I was 5 months out and I was eating between 500 - 600 a day and getting 90 - 100 or more grams of protein,  I don't think she should be at 800 calories a day, that is more closer to maintenance numbers not 5 months post op. 

I don't think Ereiam's issue is that she needs fruit or veggies or "carbs" or to double her daily calories, I think she needs to get her Iron and Labs checked, something is going on with that level of fatigue.  

ETA: I thought Ereiam was 5 months post op, she is 3.5, so everything I said above is even more important, no fruit, no veggies, NO CARBS and keep her calories where they are or maybe go up to 500.  She really needs to get her liquids up, make sure she is taking ALL her vitamins and get her Ferrtin levels tested.  

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

White Dove
on 8/31/16 7:35 am - Warren, OH

Your info on My Fitness Pal is only viewable by your friends, it is not public.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Ereiam
on 8/31/16 9:18 am
RNY on 05/16/16

It should be public. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/ereiam

SW: 270 CW: 181.4 GW: 165

RNY 5/16/16

BE NOT AFRAID JPII

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/31/16 7:39 am

Nuts or nut butters. They go great with fruits. 

1 TBS of almond butter with some fruit. 

I eat berries. A few strawberries work great. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 8/31/16 9:39 am - Warren, OH

What I would advise you to do today is get a digital kitchen scale.  I can tell you are estimating your meat amounts and probably eating much less than you think.  I doubt anyone could eat an 8 ounce steak at 3-1/2 months out.  I was getting my protein from shakes at that point and could not consume two ounces of meat. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

crafty_gal
on 8/31/16 11:14 am
RNY on 04/26/16

I was 2 months out when I started eating dense proteins - and 3oz of it at a time. Of course, back then it was rare for me to be able to eat anything else with it.

I don't eat much red meat, but it surprises me how large a portion 3 oz of baked chicken breast is.

HW: 333 Consult Weight: 318 SW: 293

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Grim_Traveller
on 8/31/16 9:43 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I think a great deal of the "pep" we get from food is in our heads. And I think intentioanlly eating carbs is a guaranteed way to saboutage ourselves.

The only macronutrient you should be thinking about is protein. If you are eating low fat things like cheese, stop, and switch to full fat. Otherwise, eat as many of your calories from protein as you can. Be a protein machine. if you need to eat more often, have a slice or two of deli meat as a snack.

Stay away from fruit, and as many other carbs as you can.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Theduffman27
on 8/31/16 10:19 am
VSG on 11/19/14
On August 31, 2016 at 4:43 PM Pacific Time, Grim Traveller, Boy Hag wrote:

I think a great deal of the "pep" we get from food is in our heads. And I think intentioanlly eating carbs is a guaranteed way to saboutage ourselves.

The only macronutrient you should be thinking about is protein. If you are eating low fat things like cheese, stop, and switch to full fat. Otherwise, eat as many of your calories from protein as you can. Be a protein machine. if you need to eat more often, have a slice or two of deli meat as a snack.

Stay away from fruit, and as many other carbs as you can.

I could not agree more Grim. Carbs are my enemy. Every time I hear " oh , just one bite wont hurt you" I want to cringe, My Mom is the biggest culprit for this....LOL. I have given in to the carb monster and am still working to get back to the weight I am most comfortable. I am very frustrated at myself for allowing myself to get complacent, I am on a great run of not allowing carbs and the scale is going down and I feel great! Just say no...to carbs!

Daffodilgirl
on 8/31/16 11:33 am

Why do our mothers do this? Today mine asked if I wanted cheese crackers? Umm no ma'am I don't.  I know they mean well but dang it! lol