Longest Plateau?

TSW
on 9/16/16 11:04 am
RNY on 05/16/16

Hi all,

Today I celebrate my 4-month surgiversary.  It has been a great adventure so far.  I've been a regular lurker on these forums and have really enjoyed everyone's experiential insight and advice.  Thank you, everyone.

I post for the the first time today because I have been in a plateau for almost 2 months.  I've wavered between 212 and 216 for that entire time.  I started at 267, so I'm trying not to complain too much - great progress has been made!  But I'm starting to worry that I will not lose anymore and I wasted a ton of money and risked my life just to lose 50 pounds.

Of course, I have basically concluded that my honeymoon period is over - and I'm OK with that.  I have to work harder now.  I am willing and have been doing that.  I let the weight melt off for the first could of months without putting much effort into it, but since this plateau started I've been working out 4-5 times a week - Zumba, step aerobics, power treadmill, elliptical, etc.  I'm WAY more active than I used to be and eat a fraction of what I used to eat.  I eat NO junkfood.  Why am I not losing anymore?!  Weight or inches?!

So, I have a couple of questions, if you guys don't mind...

1.  What's the longest plateau you've heard of?  Am I really on a plateau, or is this just all I'm going to lose?
  2.  For those of you who made the transition from honeymoon to non-honeymoon weight loss, what was that transition like?  What did you have to do to keep the weight loss going strong?

Thanks,

TSW

chassibi
on 9/16/16 11:45 am

I don't think physiologically your honeymoon can be over this soon. Do you measure and log your food? How many calories are you eating per day?

Can you provide us with a typical day's menu to look at?

Exercise will not help you lose weight like diet, so I'm thinking it's a calorie issue, but it will help with more info!

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

TSW
on 9/16/16 1:02 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

Yesterday I started with a Pure Protein shake and my vitamins.  For lunch I had a Bumblebee Chicken Salad w/Crackers kit and a sugar-free popsicle.  For dinner I had half a chicken breast and half a sweet potato.  I had some beef jerky before bed.

Today I've had a protein shake, a boiled egg and 

I eat basically the same stuff all week - the list of food that doesn't make me feel sick is pretty small right now.  My staples are the protein shakes, boiled eggs, chicken breast, salmon, fish sticks, beef/chicken/turkey jerkey, berries, sweet potatoes, broccoli, green beans, squash and the Enlightened broad beans (http://shop.eatenlightened.com/ - love these, if you haven't tried them).

I haven't really kept track of calories.  My doctor didn't ever recommend or encourage measuring intake.  Maybe because I was losing so well for the first two months?  Now I no longer see him because I moved at the end of July, and haven't found a local doctor to work with.

I suppose I will start counting calories tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply.

chassibi
on 9/16/16 2:06 pm

I use my fitness pal to track calories. I was staying under  800 but then my weight loss slowed down. I'm now under 700 calories and at least 65 of protein per day. 

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

hollykim
on 9/16/16 1:33 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 16, 2016 at 6:04 PM Pacific Time, TSW wrote:

Hi all,

Today I celebrate my 4-month surgiversary.  It has been a great adventure so far.  I've been a regular lurker on these forums and have really enjoyed everyone's experiential insight and advice.  Thank you, everyone.

I post for the the first time today because I have been in a plateau for almost 2 months.  I've wavered between 212 and 216 for that entire time.  I started at 267, so I'm trying not to complain too much - great progress has been made!  But I'm starting to worry that I will not lose anymore and I wasted a ton of money and risked my life just to lose 50 pounds.

Of course, I have basically concluded that my honeymoon period is over - and I'm OK with that.  I have to work harder now.  I am willing and have been doing that.  I let the weight melt off for the first could of months without putting much effort into it, but since this plateau started I've been working out 4-5 times a week - Zumba, step aerobics, power treadmill, elliptical, etc.  I'm WAY more active than I used to be and eat a fraction of what I used to eat.  I eat NO junkfood.  Why am I not losing anymore?!  Weight or inches?!

So, I have a couple of questions, if you guys don't mind...

1.  What's the longest plateau you've heard of?  Am I really on a plateau, or is this just all I'm going to lose?
  2.  For those of you who made the transition from honeymoon to non-honeymoon weight loss, what was that transition like?  What did you have to do to keep the weight loss going strong?

Thanks,

TSW

two months with no loss is not a plateau, it is maintenance. 

I would say you might be eating more calories than your body needs to maintain. Therefore no loss.

supershopper
on 9/16/16 4:23 pm

agree with other posters- if it has been 2 months without loss, you are eating too many calories. I would recommend buying a scale and logging all your food.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

peachpie
on 9/16/16 4:47 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

From 220-200 for me was painfully slow-- and like you stalled often, with spurts of losses. I got my head Back in the game, buckled down an recorded every morsel of food I ate. When I saw I was trending towards 1200 calories I did an about face. There were times I was in the verge of calling my nut to get advice, but I made myself be painfully honest first. Reailty always was I was eating more than I needed to.

what works for me is 4 meals a day, 1000 Calories/day Max (I like when I end up at 900 for the day) and 70 carbs or less.  I noticed on my "stall" days my cabs would be around 100. 

I don't think you are out Of your honeymoon at 4 months. I know mine ended just after the one year mark. Don't accept that this is it- it will mess up your mind more than a stall. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/17/16 5:29 am, edited 9/16/16 10:38 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You did not pay that money to take 50 pounds off, you paid it to KEEP 50 pounds off.  When was the last time you kept off (long term) the weight that you lost. I'm just saying that so that you keep perspective - 50 pounds, if you keep it off, i a medical success.  I get it that you are confused and wanting to lose more. I would too.

I hear your disappointment and this booklet has the best explanation of a plateau that I have found - and you are almost the first person who has posted about a stall to actually be in one - a stall is 4 weeks of no weight loss.

http://webiodir.com/bariatric-pre-surgery-diet-handout

It's the first link - One Bite At a Time.  In the middle of the booklet (page 30) is an extensive section on how to break a plateua. 

Also, check in with your surgeon. You have been patient, assuming that you have been getting 60-8mgm of protein and staying under 800 calories a day.

Sharon