What am I missing?

Rainbow83
on 10/8/16 7:35 am
RNY on 10/02/16

I had surgery last Sunday and everything seems to have gone seamlessly. I'm in no pain, I'm up and about, I'm taking my meds as prescribed. But I feel like I could eat for England. I'm hungry most of the time. I'm still on liquid diet and still can't tell when I'm full so I just stop when the bowl is empty.

What am I missing? I thought I'd get an obvious "full" feeling and I'd not be as hungry. Did anyone else experience this? xx

White Dove
on 10/8/16 8:15 am - Warren, OH

The full feeling will happen when you are eating solid meats at about three months out.  Liquids run through your pouch.  It is like trying to fill up a funnel.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Patty R.
on 10/8/16 8:23 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

I'm a month out, but started on puree at day 2. The vets say we won't feel fullness for a few months, the nerves that were cut during the surgery, need to heal/regenerate before we can feel fullness. The liquids are just flowing thru right now, not leaving anything in the pouch for it to feel. When does your diet advance??

I am starting to get the runny nose when I'm full, similar to when I was banded. I don't feel anything in my pouch, unless I eat to fast. Then I feel pain right below my sternum.

I've found it's a day by day process.  

Lap-Band 2007 out 2013 RnY 2016 Age 64 5'6" HW 294 SW 284 LW 214 CW 235.2 goal 199

G. Dean Roye, MD FACS

Patty

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/11/16 1:05 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

The first three months are a science experiment, if that helps

Sharon

Rainbow83
on 10/8/16 9:04 am
RNY on 10/02/16

Thank you, it is reassuring to know I haven't missed something. I'll look out for the full feeling as I can't remember ever having it x

CJ On Orcas
on 10/8/16 11:31 am
RNY on 09/09/16

Many vets say stop looking for the full feeling.  Eat just what you are supposed to (I started at 1/4 cup when I moved to pureed foods) and stopped after that amount.  If I eat too fast it comes back up almost immediately.  I am a monh out and still cannot feel anything in my new stomach unless I eat too fast.  Forunately for me, I do not have any humger, but am just starting to be interesting in what food tastes like. Also fortunately for me, most of it also tastes terrible now ;).

Good luck!

peachpie
on 10/8/16 11:57 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Don't seek the full feeling- you may not feel it for a while. Measure your food according to what the doc/nut suggests and eat just that. 

Regarding hunger, having acid may mimic hunger. Or, your stomach will be carrying on with lots of sounds as it heals-- it may just the the sounds of healing. More than likely its head hunger-- if you only want something specific- it's a craving/head hunger. Or you could genuinely be hungry-- if so pick whatever protein you are allowed at this stage, measure it and have it. 

Im 17 months out- hunger still has not returned. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

cc583
on 10/8/16 5:21 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

I had surgery on 9/28/16 and I am still on the liquid diet as well. At times I feel hungry but not too often. As everyone has said I don't get full but if I drink too much liquid or drink to fast I get a pain in my stomach that hurts for a minute or two.

Good luck with everything.

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

Ereiam
on 10/9/16 7:23 am
RNY on 05/16/16

I was really hungry after surgery too. I was disappointed because I hoped to have no appetite after the surgery. But it all evens out. I now have days in a row where I have no appetite and only eat for fuel. And then there are bottomless pouch days. I usually end up eating around the same calories on both kinds of days because I plan and log my food in myfitnesspal. 

SW: 270 CW: 181.4 GW: 165

RNY 5/16/16

BE NOT AFRAID JPII

Most Active
Recent Topics