I've done something stupid

selhard
on 10/11/16 6:13 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Even if you hadn't slipped up, therapy help seems like an excellent idea to consider on your road to a better way of living (I did for a period of time and found it helpful).  Glad your pain has gone thinking if you had done damage, the pain would have intensified instead of subsided. 

Deanna798
on 10/11/16 8:43 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I didn't cheat, but that is because my surgeon advances RNY patients really quickly.  I switched to pureed food at 4 or 5 days post op, and soft foods at 8 days post op.  at about 10 days post op, I thought that a turkey meatball mashed up would be okay and I ended up in the ER thinking I had damaged my pouch.  Turned out that it was just really irritated, and I went back to a liquid diet for a few days before I tried soft foods again.

This is the time to really push yourself to be good, because if you think it's hard now, it's going to be extra hard at a year out and you CAN eat anything without fear of physical pain.  I highly recommend getting into therapy and looking at why you feel the need to eat off plan, it will help you in the long run.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

White Dove
on 10/11/16 8:59 am - Warren, OH

You won't be hearing from the people who cheat.  They have regained their weight and are ashamed to come back on the boards.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

CJ On Orcas
on 10/11/16 9:45 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I am almost five weeks out and did not cheat on the post-op liquid phase but my surgeon also believes in advancing to a pureed diet right away, so I was able to start trying food within a couple of days.  I did not try anything like chips, though, also too afraid to damage something.  I have had a couple of run-ins with things I was not supposed to eat (mostly from forgetting) and then spitting them out.  I would also encourage you to find a therapist.  It is a long road and you are just at the beginning of it. 

I use this site specifically to get advice from the vets who have done this for a long time.  Sometimes it is tough hearing the hard words.  But the hard words are what we (I) need to wake up.

CathyV
on 10/11/16 12:38 pm

I didn't cheat...too scared. But Ido remember feeling very hungry and really struggling. When you can have solids it will be easier...at least for a good long while. I am six weeks out and never feel hungry...and even though there are things I occasionally wish I could have, not being hungry certainly makes it easier. Only you know if you need therapy, but I would say if this continues once you can have solids I would sure give it a try. I have had that pain when I advanced my diet too fast (something the surgeon says I am have but that I still can't tolerate) or eat too fast or without chewing well. It's a powerful deterrent to do better next time.

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

SkinnyScientist
on 10/11/16 1:30 pm

I didnt cheat.  I didnt want to die.  My surgeon impressed upon me very very much what could happen if I were disobedient (I could die)!

My cousin cheated with just a few bites of pizza too soon. He lived in the middle of no-where. His little hospital was getting the helicopter ready to fly him to Fargo.

Out of curiousity [sic] did your surgeon tell you WHY you had to stick to liquids post op.  If so, did the chips matter more than your life?  If the surgeon didn't, well you didn't know and probably did not have enough information available to make an informed choice. But if he did...

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Rainbow83
on 10/11/16 1:50 pm
RNY on 10/02/16

I've been on fluid diet for 3weeks pre op and now 9days post op, no idea why I have been on it for so long compared to other people's experiences. I'm craving real food that I actually have to chew.

Nobody told me I would die if I cheated, I suppose the risk of rupture is increased with solid food. But some people are allowed puree almost immediately.

Anyway, pain has gone. Hopefully lesson learnt. I shall just have to see what tomorrow brings xx

SkinnyScientist
on 10/11/16 4:06 pm

Please check in with us tomorrow. I will keep an eye out for you Rainbow!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Rainbow83
on 10/12/16 10:18 am
RNY on 10/02/16

Hello Skinny!

Have had a better day, had custard and that cheered me up, much better than yoghurt or soup. No pain today and a 0.75lb weight loss this morning so feeling back in the zone!

Rainbow xx

mute
on 10/12/16 4:37 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Okay, that is kind of a long time and I get that it sucks. Everyone's plan is different and you need to stick to the plan - definitely nothing as solid as chips.

Take each amount of time as it comes - think of it as one hour down, 4 hours down, 8 hours down - woo hoo 1 whole day down! And then bam you will have the whole 3 weeks done and you can move on to the next phase.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 361 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 116 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views