FMLA/Short-term disability

Terri70
on 11/15/16 10:41 am

I know that I'll need to ask my surgeon when I see him, but thought I would see what all of you say. Do most surgeons approve FMLA and Short-term disability?

peachpie
on 11/15/16 11:20 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Mine did for both. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/16 11:28 am - CA

Yes.   If you required time off for your surgical procedure or medical care and your place of employment offers FMLA, then your surgeon/physician has to fill out the paper work and sign it, so that you can continue to be compensated for your time off.  Usually the office staff will fill it out and Dr. will sign it and indicate the length of time off.   Once your employer gets it, they will approve your FMLA so that you can continue to get paid.    

RNY_elizabeth
on 11/15/16 12:21 pm - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Side note, FMLA guarantees your position is protected for a limited amount of time (180 days per calendar year). The law requires that large employers allow for employees to take unpaid leave for family and personal medical leave when medically necessary without firing them. It does not provide any requirement that you are paid during that time. In order to be paid you must have some sort of leave program (paid time off, sick leave, etc) or short term/long term disability insurance.

~E

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

RNY_elizabeth
on 11/15/16 12:18 pm - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

The only sticking point can be the "medically necessary" requirement for some STD/LTD policies.  My surgeon did in fact state my surgery was medically necessary but in theory that is a medical opinion that your doctor can make either way. If your doctor is filing to your insurance they are already stating to them that it is medically necessary so it should be no issue.

Also some doctors charge a fee for completing the paperwork for this.  Their claim is that it is basically payment for their time and the time of their office staff.  Most don't, some are just penny pinching. If they charge, it is well worth it. I would go ahead and begrudgingly pay their fee.

~Elizabeth

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views