What would you do?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/5/16 6:43 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am with NYMom -- it's utterly ridiculous that you have to get under 355 pounds to meet the surgeon's requirement for bariatric surgery.  A great many of us --- and arguably those of us who needed it the most -- are close or over that requirement.  I was 347 when I started -- and I remember how difficult things were at that size.  You have already proven yourself having lost 125 pounds.  I can see no legitimate reason to keep you from a life saving surgical procedure.  Of course your heart hasn't been in the process lately -- that surgeon has given you an absolutely insurmountable task.  

Move.

Move now.  Do not wait six months.  Do not wait to "work on your fitness" -- move and do it.

Get your surgery and get on with your life.  Tell your neigh saying critical "friend" to STFU.

That is what I would do.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

SkinnyScientist
on 12/5/16 7:25 am

Go to the surgeon with no weight max for the reasons Grim said.  You have done well, and demonstrated you can stick to a diet.

At this point, you are terribly hurting your health by being this obese.  It does not make sense to wait a SINGLE day longer

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

hollykim
on 12/5/16 8:07 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 5, 2016 at 2:07 AM Pacific Time, ladysunbeam wrote:

My first blog post was about being at crossroads and not knowing which direction to go... one road is in Missouri where I now live and the other road leads to Arkansas where my son lives.  Why am I at the crossroads now you might ask...  My current bariatric doctor in Missouri has a weight maximum of 350 lbs and I currently weigh 499 lbs which means I still need to lose 150 lbs before having surgery.  If I was to move to Arkansas I have found a bariatric doctor that has no weight maximum as long as he deems you healthy he will do surgery.  I have already lost 125 lbs on my own and it just seems impossible to lose another 150 lbs.  I am 54, type 2 diabetic, have several co-morbidities due to my being super morbidly obese and I am scare that if I don't have the surgery within the next year that it won't happen at all!  Something has to give as my health is hovering on the edge of going downhill quickly if I don't do something.  My mobility is becoming more limited which scares me to death, I don't want to become wheelchair bound or use a mobility scooter.  I want to LIVE LIFE rather than watch it pass me by, I know you all know what I am feeling as I am sure 90% of you have felt the same way at some time or another.

A friend said to me today that I keep running from state to state to address my weight issue and I am no better off than I was before I moved to Texas and Missouri.  It was hard to hear but she as right.  After attending the bariatric seminar on this past Friday, I realized that I need to work on my physical fitness as it is difficult for me to walk very far without my back killing me.  I also had a reality check that I haven't had my heart in the weight loss process this past 6 months.  I lost my focus... so the seminar rejuventated my focus on what I want and that is to have surgery somewhere in the near future!!  But I have to work on exercising/walking and focus my diet to get some more weight off.  

I would love you opinion on what you would do if you were in my shoes, lose 150 lbs and have surgery in Missouri, even though you have no idea of how long that will take; Or give yourself 6 months to work on your physical fitness and weight loss and move to Arkansas to have surgery sometime this year?  What would you do?

the first and most important thing to me is getting surgery ASAP.

everything else will fall into place after that. Soon you won't need a pool for exercise. I lost 122# and have kept it off for nearly 7 years, without any exercise at all. 

I wouldn't wait till spring to move. By spring, you could have had surgery and already lost a huge amount of weight. I would be on it so fast all you would see would be my dust.

Most Active
Recent Topics