Regained control

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/9/17 4:49 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

At the risk of being the biggest jerk on the planet -- in fact, I feel like that 4th grade asshat that tells kids about Santa Claus -- I feel compelled to warn you that you should enjoy this feeling while it lasts.

Yes, I know -- this is the point in my post where you most likely want to stomp your feet, put your fingers in your ears and call me a kill-joy -- but, please know that it's better to be prepared, rather than surprised later.

There's a reason that vets call the first 12 to 18 months the Honeymoon Period. This is the time when losing weight will never be easier, when habits are most likely to be changed and eating so little is seemingly so easy. That's why they always encourage people to lose as much as possible -- more than you planned -- because this is that amazing window of time that cannot ever be had again.

During this time, it's almost unbelievable that you will ever struggle again. It can feel like you've found the miracle that will make it so you can eat normally and be like "normies" (an expression for people who have always been naturally thin) --

It isn't true.

You cannot.

You will be hungry again.

You will want to eat all those things that you feel control over right now -- and if you do, moderation will be increasingly more difficult the further out that you are.

This is the reason that regain and "bounce back" is so common.

Why am I telling you this? I promise it isn't because I want to take the wind out of your sails ... it's because taking this message from vets, absorbing that reality and really working on changing my relationship with food during the honeymoon period has been key to staying successful past the first 18 months for me. As promised, it did, and it has gotten much more difficult as time has gone on. Being prepared for that reality will keep you from being blind-sided, too.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/9/17 7:21 pm

I could not say that better, or even as good as you did.

And all of that is true.

Sometimes the honeymoon last 12 ..and if you lucky it may be even 24 months. When things seams easier, and when we see people struggling - we are not sure why...

Then the reality is catching up with us. And it can get rough.

I reached my goal in 10 months... Actually I got 10 lbs below my goal. I honestly thought "I've got this" . Now .. Almost 9 years post op I know better.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/10/17 5:46 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Aww shucks Hala. ::blushing::

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

iloveravens
on 3/9/17 7:46 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

Every surgeon's office should print & hand this out to their patients. I've noticed that Dr. Now talks about regain more now than in the earlier seasons of My 600 lb. Life. I think when WLS was becoming popular (the Carnie Wilson days) that people truly thought it was a magic fix. I know I did!

(Apologies in advance if the following sounds like a broken record, but a good warning for all of us) --

My parents were ones who thought that they would never have to diet again.

A couple of months after my mom's surgery (in 2006) she received a diet book in the mail. You know, one of those old scams where they send you books and if you don't return them, they bill you? Some company sent it to her and she called them back ranting, "I never ordered this book, I had gastric bypass surgery, I don't NEED to diet." She hung up the phone and turned to me and said, "Unless you want it?" Ugh that one hurt.

My dad had his surgery in 2011, right before he retired. My mom made him do it before they lost his good private health insurance. He didn't want it. He hated not being able to eat. He never took it seriously because he didn't want it. So he eats until he sneezes every single meal that I've had with him. My mom says he has a sneezing fit every night.

Today, my mom is more than her surgery weight, my dad is on his way (he's five years behind her). It won't be long until he's back to his starting weight. They are on a TON of medications that they went off of the initial year. More medications now because of their lack of vitamins.

Bummer right? Well yeah, but also an eye-opening, sobering, in your face reminder, of what NOT to do. I'm not perfect, I get away with a lot because I'm early out still, but I like to exercise and be active, and ultimately, I remind myself that I did not reroute my intestines to end up failing myself that way. So I fight. Every day. Every choice, every friggin scent of girl scout cookies...

WD said it best. "You will be on a diet for the rest of your life."

Sorry if I went off on a tangent...

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/11/17 4:02 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Wow: This is reality! Thank you for sharing!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

birdiegirl
on 3/10/17 2:37 am

^^^^^ this. What Kat said.

One f the reasons we jump on someone just "tasting, ,licking, taking a tiny bite" of crappy, pound increasing, temptation loaded foods.

Work that first 12 months for all its worth.

Ashley in Belgium
on 3/10/17 5:43 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

^^^^^^^Exactly. Well said, as usual.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/11/17 4:00 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Thank You Kat! This reality is what us new maintainers need to hear!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

White Dove
on 3/9/17 9:01 pm - Warren, OH

I have a wonderful surgeon who tells you from day 1 that the honeymoon ends and regain happens. He encourages us to go 10, 20 or even 30 pounds under his goal so that there is a cushion for rebound.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 125 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views