Hardwiring exercise/activity? Ideas?

chassibi
on 7/6/17 5:15 am

I have done pretty well with weight loss. I am about 8 pounds from my goal, and although I veered off course for a couple of months I am firmly committed today to getting this last 8 pounds off and then maintaining.

As I think about maintaining, I think I need to be more active and try to tone up a bit. I don't like exercise but do like activities. However--weather being what it is and needing to hardwire something daily is important to me. The more active I am, the more active I want to be.

Does anyone have any tips for how they achieve this? Morning versus evening? Daily versus 4-5 times per week? I'm not a runner so that's out. I do like yoga and walking/hiking.

How long did it take before exercise/activity became second nature and you craved it?

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

pr31
on 7/6/17 5:33 am

I think it all depends on what works best for you. I've always been a morning person, so mornings are definitely better for me. Also DH has to get up early for work and I can't sleep after that anyhow. By the time I get home, have dinner & clean up, I'm ready to be a couch potato for an hour or so and then go to bed. I usually do 4 times through the week and one day on the weekend. We have both an eliptical trainer & a stationary bike so I switch off between them. It makes it much easier for me to have it in the house; I'm not sure I would have the same commitment if I had to go to a gym. I realize that's not possible for everyone. DH wants to get a treadmill, so we may add that to our fitness room (aka spare bedroom) in the not too distant future which will add another dimension. We have a TV in the room so that helps pass the time. I also like to bike and hike, but that's an occasional weekend thing if/when we have more time.

As to how long it took before becoming second nature and craving it, honestly I've been regular for over a year (started slowly before surgery) and now get at least an hour at a time in, I still don't "crave" it, but definitely feel much better afterwards.

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

peachpie
on 7/6/17 5:49 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I'm a morning person, always have been. I prefer to get my exercise done in the mornings. But that wasn't working for my schedule during the work week. I skipped more workouts trying to commit to my 'morning person' persona. I finally had to get real and decided to work out in the evenings during the work week. What helps me is changing into gym clothes immediately after work. If I change into anything else I know I won't bother to change again. I go to the gym Tues/Thurs evenings like clock work now. I run in the mornings on weekends or days off. It took time for me to allow the workout to fit my life.

Would you be committed to working at at home? I do occasionally when the weather is bad. Or do you need to be out & about?

I've had a routine since 3 months post op that I've built on, I didn't start off aggressively but was always consistent to 4X per week.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

supershopper
on 7/6/17 6:14 am

I suck at making myself exercise - but yoga is my go to,

helps massively with stress and my overall well being. Plus i am having to PAY to go so i better get my butt there at least 3 times a week.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

ScaleSkater
on 7/6/17 6:20 am, edited 7/5/17 11:21 pm

I get up at 3:45am in order to get my workout in, otherwise there is only a 25% chance of getting it in. I hate it for the first 10 minutes. Then once I'm moving it's fine. I just picture the pool all to myself and how it feels to finish a great workout. I also have some great music that I listen to while I swim (it's becoming my favorite time of the day). By the time I leave I'm already planning tomorrow morning. But I love to swim, but I do also love to sleep. You've got to decide what's important to you. I was almost bed ridden living the life of one of those people on My 600 pound life. So when I want to go back to sleep I think of that image and it pushes me forward. Also the exercise helps me avoid the crap I encounter in the day. Why the heck would I get up at 3:45 only to eat a donut at the office and blow the day. Since starting exercise I've accelerated my loss trajectory.

My vote - get it over with as early as possible. The best way to start - commit to doing something for 10 minutes, no matter what. Even if you are just standing or sitting on whatever you are using. Just commit. Eventually you can work on finding something you really like by trying different things. But start and take it slow. I hated running early in my life. But at one point in my past I ended up running and marathon. It was the coolest thing I ever did in my life. Never say never.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

Grim_Traveller
on 7/6/17 6:21 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The only time I went to the gym was in the first year, to try to save as much muscle as I could. Since then, I just focus on activity, rather than exercise.

The best thing in the world for me has been a Fitbit. I aim for a minimum number of steps every day, and by the end of the week. And it tracks the number of active and inactive minutes each day. It really makes me aware when I slack off a little.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Laura in Texas
on 7/6/17 6:42 am

I also love my fitbit. It changed my life for the better. Sadly I just dislocated my toe so I have to take it easy until it heals. My fitbit streak is over!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Grim_Traveller
on 7/6/17 2:41 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Slip it into your daughter's pocket when they go out.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Dcgirl
on 7/6/17 6:26 am, edited 7/5/17 11:26 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hey chica! Great to see you on here :) Hmmm this is a tough question. It's so individual for people, you know? For example, my boyfriend only lifts weights and uses like 10 five machines at the gym. I prefer group classes - they really motivate me and I have made some great friendships in classes. I also prefer the morning so I get it out of the way. Otherwise, during the day I can find every excuse to not go - work is busy, I'm tired, traffic was bad, I have dinner prep to do...

Would your daughter or any neighbors want to walk with you a few times a week?

Have you used the free app Sworkit? It's pretty awesome - you can choose what type of workout to do and then it guides you with videos through a workout. You can do all of it at home using your own body weight (like lunges and squats and planks).

I recently read an article that confirmed what I have found to be true. Exercise is not key to weight loss. It's key to mental health and has some incredible health benefits like improved circulation and stronger muscles. But I do believe that 80% of our loss and maintenance is food in mouth. So my humble opinion (and feel free to ignore) - put your energy into buying and prepping and cooking high protein and low carb meals to feed your body properly, and increase your activities when possible.

I wouldn't say I necessarily crave exercise, nor do I even look forward to it, but 99% of the time I feel BETTER after I fini**** I guess that's what keeps me going!

(and I am considering getting an elliptical for my house so I can do it while I am watching tv or even doing a conference call - I figure, I have no excuse to skip a workout if it's IN. MY. HOUSE. lol)

ETA: I am also a FitBit addict! It definitely helps motivate me!

ScottAndrews
on 7/6/17 6:39 am
RNY on 03/20/17

Try a personal trainer. It's a bit pricey but generally worth it if only to see how hard you can really work out.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views