list of liquids and foods for the first week

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/1/17 12:58 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

This is bad advice. Protein pasta is NOT ok for a post-op diet.

Nutrition info here; One serving is 190 cal and 10g protein, plus 38g carbs.

Ideally our food should have 10g protein per every 100 calories, and one should stay under 25g carbs per DAY.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

HonestOmnivore
on 8/1/17 1:21 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

Remember to add the protein in from the added protein powder as was the point of including it in the list. When in the soft food stage, having a single meal where one eats protein pasta (half serving would be a very large serving for that early post op), blended with the cheese powder and whey protein wouldn't be horrible.

When I've made Mac and Cheese, I usually stir in tuna or salmon to up the protein in addition to whey protein powder. It's not something that is often on MY menu but I add in the protein powder and tuna when I make it for friends /family. I also usually add in quinoa to the pasta. A little whole cereal, some fiber, some more protein...

A carbohydrate dense diet is rare in the world of WLS, but there are those who thrive on it. For the rest of us, some can include a few carbs here and there. Most of the veterans don't seem to live on meat or whey alone. A serving of protein pasta, mixed with additional protein, can be one of a WLS patient's meals without her weight loss being blown apart and destroyed. Life isn't all or nothing, black and white. A teaspoon of jam does not a slice of cake make.

#justsayin

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/1/17 1:27 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

>> A carbohydrate dense diet is rare in the world of WLS, but there are those who thrive on it.

Don't suppose you've got any examples of people who eat a high-carb diet after WLS and maintain a "normal" BMI? Preferably reputable case studies? Or even people on OH? Because in my 5 years here, I sure as heck haven't seen any.

>> ...some can include a few carbs here and there.

Sure, some people can have limited carbs. A great many others CAN'T. I know of ZERO good reason to go high-carb during the honeymoon phase, even for a special metabolic snowflake. I maintain that this is terrible advice for someone who is in the crucial stage for establishing optimum post-op lifestyle habits.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gina 21 Years Out
on 8/1/17 1:58 pm - Burleson, TX

I want a list of names...of these "thrivers", because I want their SECRET...please let me know when HO sends it to you

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

HonestOmnivore
on 8/2/17 8:53 am
RNY on 03/29/17

I would love to find their secret also! As far as I can tell it's partially the luck of our DNA, and the types of gut flora/fauna we carry. I'll try to go back and search but I know at least one post was on here from a person several years out who was living the low fat, high carb diet and maintaining her weight. Life tends to give us bell curves and outliers are real :)

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Gina 21 Years Out
on 8/1/17 1:23 pm - Burleson, TX

I wouldn't eat it NOW, much less while in the LOSING stage.

My opinion

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

mute
on 8/1/17 1:26 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

omg I can't imagine eating this now much less right after surgery! 38 carbs from 1 serving would definitely make me sick! Right after surgery I was eating so so little but basically I was mixing the protein in with every liquid I could find that it would dissolve in.

Stay away from carbs as long as you possibly can. Forever if you can. I took that weight loss advice super early on here from the successful vets I saw and 29 months after my surgery I would say I've been successful with my weight loss in huge part to that advice. I'm trying so hard to stick to that as long as I possibly can.

Please listen to Julie - she is one smart person!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/1/17 1:58 pm

Honey and jelly:That would be a ticket on the reactive hypoglycemia train for me, not to mention setting me up for failure since I, like many others here, have a significant problem with eating sugar--the problem being that I have never been able to eat a reasonable amount and quit eating. I'm more in the "If a little is good, more is better" camp.

My surgeon's office also endorsed Cream of Crap, aka Cream of Wheat, but I knew better than to eat it. Oatmeal was on the list as well, but again, I passed.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

HonestOmnivore
on 8/1/17 2:07 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

Are you literally at zero grams of sugar in your daily food logs? I'm impressed and so very thankful I don't have to go to that extreme.

SW - 206 CW - 128

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/1/17 2:54 pm

Nope, because I eat dairy. But I don't add honey, jam, jelly, syrup, et al to my diet. I'm also nearly six years out and in maintenance.

Your suggestion to the OP really comes across as gratuitous added sugar. There's tons of food to eat that doesn't need a dab of jelly here and some honey there.

Your approach is balanced to you, and loosey goosey to most of us.

I forgo wine and alcohol as well. Why? Empty calories that I'd rather use on a grilled rib eye.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 406 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 396 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 261 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 301 views