Getting dumping syndrome so much

Dcgirl
on 8/24/17 6:29 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

As others have said, it's not dumping. You can dump from sugar, but it doesn't sound like you are having a lot of sugar. 150 calories per day is too low. Prioritize staying hydrated and working towards 60 g of protein a day. What protein shake was making you gassy? Some people like/can tolerate ready to drink (RTD) drinks like Premier Protein. Others like to make their own using powder in a blender with ice. Some people like the clear Isopure protein drinks. Go to GNC, read labels, and buy one of each kind that has good stats (a general rule is 1 g of protein for each 10 calories, so look for drinks that are maybe 200 calories and 20 g of protein, with low carbs).

As Grim said, your stomach may tolerate eggs one week and the next week be horrible. It takes time, but eventually you will likely be able to tolerate almost everything and be wishing you were back to eating tiny meals ;)

Good luck! You can do this!

Kathyjs
on 8/24/17 5:57 pm

Cornedbeef hash and cottage cheese gags me thinking of it :-) I think it's a little early for corned beef. At puréed I ate baby food meat. It's a lot of trial and error. Measure though!!!

mirandaF
on 8/24/17 11:53 pm
RNY on 08/07/17

I have weird tastes, the corned beef hash with cottage cheese tasted fine to me. I added a little spice and it was good tasting. I have the premier protein vanilla powder. But it makes me so gassy that I feel full/a bit sick with it. My nutritionist and my surgeon both moved me to pureed foods on the 22. My surgery was the 7th. I was then told to stay on pureed for 3 weeks, and then attempt soft foods. I then get to stay on soft foods for 3 weeks, and of course after that attempt normal foods.

I cut out the eggs and found that eating some re fried beans with a little cheese and guacamole was divine. My pouch handled it really well and I saved my baby food plastic container I had to server up a meal. It's 2.5oz and really works well for me because I can re-use the container and it has it's own lid. (one of those stage 1 fruit baby food)

I found tuna with just a little mayo also worked very well for me. Straight cottage cheese is still good to me. I'm just so sad I had to throw out my egg/cottage cheese mix. It tasted so good, but as of now, my pouch does not like eggs at all. At least not normal eggs, perhaps I'll try powdered or egg beater.

Thank you all for your suggestions and I will try all that you have suggested.

aesposito
on 8/27/17 3:54 pm

You are not dumping. You are not a sweaty, shaky mess on the floor half-conscious and hating the world, so you are not dumping. Dumping is caused biologically by sugar and carbs.

And fat is fine unless you have gall bladder issues. My guess is the cottage cheese... which is pretty high in lactose and carbs for this early out anyway. But it's only a guess.

Then again, unlike almost everyone on this board, the surgery caused me loose stools instead of constipation, no matter what I ate (ultimately diagnosed with IBS-D and lactose intolerance post-surgery, along with a non-functioning gall bladder). So it may be you are just one of those people... consider yourself lucky, as constipation and subsequent bowl obstructions are rather unpleasant.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

kidchick
on 9/3/17 10:33 pm
RNY on 09/29/17

Bone Broth may be a good addition for you. While it is low in calories it would help raise your protein level a lot.

Most Active
Recent Topics