3 days out and really having trouble with protein shakes

minaque2
on 8/26/17 12:46 pm

They said it was ok if the first few days I didn't make my protein goal. It is really hard. I drink about 6-8 sips over an hour and then am so uncomfortable I can't move. I've been laying down for a bit. I am going to take a few sips of water and go walk the driveway but then I am going to have to have more of the protein shake. Just the thought makes me really nauseous. Is this how you all felt? I took some miralax earlier in some herbal tea. I haven't gone in 5 days but I also haven't had any solids. TIA.

minaque2
on 8/26/17 1:04 pm

Can I put unflavored powder in water? Would that be gross?

nance1950
on 8/26/17 1:13 pm
RNY on 04/26/17

Do you have that high protein jello? I couldn't stand protein shakes after surgery either. When I went to rehab they gave me ice water with unflavored protein in it which wasn't bad. I was able to get the shakes down eventually (I love premier protein Carmel flavor I mix it with coffee to water it down a little). Nance

hollykim
on 8/26/17 4:01 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 26, 2017 at 8:04 PM Pacific Time, minaque2 wrote:

Can I put unflavored powder in water? Would that be gross?

you can and yes it would be gross. Unflavored protein just means not chic or vanilla.

whey tastes and smells like spoiled milk.

White Dove
on 8/26/17 2:48 pm - Warren, OH

It's OK to not make your protein goals the first few weeks. Just ge****er in and walk.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

minaque2
on 8/26/17 3:13 pm

I have 5 different powders and premier RTD shakes. I keep alternating between them. I've gotten about 30 grams of protein today. I'm going to just drink water tonight and give myself a break. One thing I haven't tried is the plain protein powder in chicken broth. I may try that tomorrow. I really appreciate everyone's feedback. It's good not to be alone.

Writergurl08
on 8/26/17 5:07 pm
RNY on 02/15/18

Just make sure you don't add the protein powder to broth hotter than 140 degrees. It turns into a big weird clump. I suggest adding the powder to cool broth, then slowly heating until warm. Unjury brand has a chicken soup flavor protein powder to make protein "broth"

pinyee
on 8/26/17 3:46 pm - Bomoseen, VT
RNY on 03/23/16

I could never do the protein shakes either made me sick to my stomach as well. I used to put the unflavored protein powder in soup. I also found someone here used the premier protein shake as a coffee creamer and put that in decaf coffee and that worked for me as well.

Baby steps you can do this...

NYMom222
on 8/26/17 6:13 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

The premier protein drinks can be had warm like hot chocolate, if warm goes down easier. Also be careful of the powder ones if you shake or use the blender, give them time to let the foam settle, it will go down easier. You can also over dilute them to make them thinner, and easier to drink. You can add a little sweetener to boost the flavor if you over-diluted it. I do that all the time with things and it boost s the original flavor.

Syntrax has flavors that are non-creamy. I personally love fuzzy navel in water- again I over dilute and add a little extra sweetener. Tastes like orangeade. They also have lemonade and ice tea, and flavors like that. I but them off Netrition.com or Amazon. Netrition sometimes works out cheaper. Somewhere I know you can a variety of single serve packets, but I don't remember where...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

pinyee
on 8/27/17 4:24 am - Bomoseen, VT
RNY on 03/23/16

Please listen to the advise of NYMom22 since day one on here I have always read her advice and found it helpful and invaluable.... She knows her stuff!!!!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views