Not losing weight on Preop diet

keywest
on 10/10/17 6:37 pm

Hello my revision surgery from VSG to RNY is scheduled for 10/12; I?m worried because I?m struggling with the pre-op diet. I am not losing any weight. I had sleeve on 10/17/11 just about 6 years ago. I lost 112lbs and my lowest weight was 146. I gained back about 50 lbs over the last year and I suffer with severe GERD and I have a hiatal hernia.

Im worried that. Haven lost any weight prior to my surgery. I don?t know what to do. It?s very hard to keep anything down without vomiting.

Do you think I will still be able to have the surgery? Has this happened to anyone.

HW: 250      SW: 237      CW: 174   Goal: 125     Height: 5'1    Surgery Date: 10/17/11

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/10/17 7:29 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

The only one who can tell you if you can still have surgery is your doctor and your insurance company (if you haven't yet been approved).

What are you eating right now? Are you weighing, measuring, and logging? If you're not at an honest caloric deficit, you won't lose weight.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ScottAndrews
on 10/11/17 3:31 am
RNY on 03/20/17

Not being able to eat + not losing weight = ?

One thing is you should be eating like you're having surgery tomorrow which is to say you should be on clear liquids only. You do not want any food in your system post op. This is key.

nance1950
on 10/11/17 5:56 am
RNY on 04/26/17

I agree that you should contact your surgeon's office re the problems you're having. I just wanted to tell you that I actually gained weight on the preop diet and went on to have a successful surgery (,4/26/17). Nance

HFA70
on 10/11/17 8:35 am

If memory serves, the actual point of the preop diet is to rid of fat around the liver and not for weight loss, although it is a common occurrence.

I think you will be ok, but you need to speak to your surgeon's office.

SkinnyScientist
on 10/11/17 8:52 am

My preppy diet was just a few days of clear liquids and sf jello. I did not lose weight either. Showed me I needed the surgery more than anything!!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

stacyrg
on 10/11/17 1:02 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

you really need to check with your surgeon to see what he/she expects from you, particularly since this is a revision. When I revised from VSG to RNY my surgeon did not have me do a traditional pre-op diet. In fact, my instructions were to eat like I was preparing for a race. He wanted he as strong and nourished as possible going into the surgery. It may be because I didn't have much weight to lose (I was 12 lbs from goal) and he wasn't concerned about the size of my liver.

I guess what I'm saying is I would check with the most important person at this point . . . your surgeon

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 461 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views