Fussy pouch 8 months out

HonestOmnivore
on 11/30/17 11:10 am
RNY on 03/29/17

This last month I've been experiencing what I've heard described as a "fussy pouch". Up until now, I've had a few experiences where I ate too fast, or I ate something that my body wasn't ready for (sugary foods) but it wasn't nearly has horrific as what folks describe when dealing with dumping syndrome (which I understand is horrific and literally takes you down). I've also tolerated all foods maybe too well - I was eating tuna salad four days post op (at my surgical center's advice) and when I posted that meal I discovered that most RNY patients wouldn't have tolerated that the first few months let alone the first week. I never hit a food in my first few months that was a problem for me - all meats, dairy, and veggies have gone down without a hitch.

The past month or so I've had this (very random) abrupt feeling of fullness after eating only a couple of ounces. This isn't regular, so it's not actually a physical limit to my food intake, it happens randomly, most often with drier denser foods but it's also happened when drinking water or eating "slider" foods like soup and yogurt. The sensation is very black and white - it's not like I feel a little full - it's like "You're DONE." and the effect lasts for about an hour. It can happen on an empty stomach or on a day I've been grazing. It can happen at the beginning or middle of a meal.

I've wondered if the exit of my pouch has narrowed, or if I'm getting some sort of spasm in either my stomach or the intestine where it connects (if an intestine can even spasm?).

I'm not medically concerned as it's not like I'm unable to get in my calories and nutrients over time - just not the meal I had planned at the time I'd planned. Most times I will wait it out, then drink a warm cup of tea with an added full serving of protein powder which almost always goes down fine.

I've had a flu like bug over this same time period, but it's not been a stomach bug, rather a upper respiratory sniffly/sneezy body aches kind of bug.

Anyone else have an easy first six months then get some pouch issues?

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

aesposito
on 11/30/17 4:29 pm

Same thing happens to me more than six YEARS out. Some days Pouchy is happy. Other days he is not. I just go with the flow and always listen to him. Unless you have a medical or nutritional concern, I would suggest you do the same :)

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

ljbarbara
on 11/30/17 5:10 pm

You could be getting a stricture. What you are describing sounds very much like the way I felt before evolving into a full blown stricture. Keep an eye on it and if it continues or you start vomiting, go to your surgeon. It's a very easy fix, I've had it done twice. I'll keep you in my prayers. BTW...glad to see you back!

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

Rosemi
on 11/30/17 7:27 pm

Just wanted to say so good to hear from you...glad you're back! And periodically I go through what your talking about...but not for a consistent amount of time...sometimes it's just that last bite I just can't swallow for some reason...but not for a noticeable amount of time...Take care

Jester
on 12/1/17 1:26 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

I am a little shy of 2 years out and this happens to me pretty frequently. I just have "good days" and "bad days". Sometimes there is consistency, like I really need to drink warm beverages in the morning to "prime the pump" or I risk getting food stuck if I eat right away after getting out of bed. And this goes for all food - yogurt or bananas included. Things that would usually be no problem at all.

But it also happens randomly, usually with denser food (read: meat or sometimes salad). I take a couple of bites and BAM, I'm done. If I try to keep going trouble ensues, so I'm getting better at recognizing the feeling and stopping.

I embrace it as a good thing. Sometimes it's disappointing as I was really excited for a particular meal and I don't get to enjoy it. But overall I figure it's a blessing. On those "bad days" I tend to eat a lot less. It's "nature's way" of helping me maintain in my opinion.

Obviously if it gets to be a problem where you can't get in your protein or calorie requirements on a regular basis then you'd need to seek treatment, but like I said, I embrace it as a gift of sorts - even if it's an unpleasant gift at times.

SkinnyScientist
on 12/3/17 11:56 am

Are you barfing and dry heaving? If so, getting full fast and random barfing/foamies/dry heaving were the symptoms of an ULCER in my pouch.

I had to lay off the caffeine, take some sort of pill and a liquid called kerafate (or something like that) to get relief and back to normal.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

HonestOmnivore
on 12/7/17 11:19 am
RNY on 03/29/17

So far the answer is no. I've vomited twice since my RNY (once in May, once last week), but I'll keep an eye out for that!

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views