they need to revise my rny to a vsg

kim_pei
on 2/7/18 12:22 am - Canada

I have been told they need to revise my rny to a vsg due to reactive dumping and hypoglycemia. Has anyone else gone through this?

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/7/18 4:45 am

I have both - dumping and severe Reactive Hypoglycemia. But I am able to control both with my diet. It cave challenging at times, but doable when I really pay attention.

I.e some fast carbs like potato - any form - even potato chips - may cause RH even when I eat them with proteins and fat. More that 1-2 tsp of potatoes may cause that. I avoid that and any dishes with potatoes. Same with rice product (i.e. rice crackers) or most processed grains. I learned to avoid that.

You symptoms ma be really bad for the doc to consider the revision. Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kim_pei
on 2/7/18 3:12 pm - Canada

Thank you so much for sharing that. I feel very alone with this. I have been hospitalized because of losing consciousness and getting hurt. Mine is so sensitive that i have to eat only veggies and protein...no flour, sugars or even a lot of different fruits. My symptoms have been very bad since my surgery and now it is affecting my heart, and I had not previous heart conditions. Even something cooked with a little fat that I dont know about has a bad effect. It has become the worst tight rope walk ever.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/7/18 4:43 pm

I can relate. It took me a long time to find out what would cause reaction and what is safe.

If you get revision- please please please make sure you get someone who is really experienced. Not someone who is just starting this type of procedure.

Taking the stomach appart (RnY) is easier than trying to put it together. Ask questions. Lots of them. A major one should be how many surgeries like that the surgeon performed successfully. When did he do that... Etc.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Lucile777
on 2/7/18 8:03 pm

Diff you dump since day 1 or is it something that just happened?

kim_pei
on 2/8/18 10:59 pm - Canada

Since my surgery 2.5 years ago we now know i have had dumping from the soft food stage and hypoglycemia but it too a major turn about a year after. Sleeping or sick...nothing else...i had a poor dietician who was no help and i suffered being told it was normal for an rny. I didnt know any better. Until i felt like i was dying 3 .or 4 times a day.

jndrake
on 3/26/18 11:31 am - Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
VSG on 12/10/13

Oh my God Kim, it's Jillian, I just read this, that is terrible! Who is going to do the revision, Ive had both Dr B and Dr T.

"You're off to great places today is your day your mountain is waiting so get on your way.Oh the Places you'll go" Dr.Seuss

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views