1st week post-op recap & checkup

ThePlusSide
on 3/2/18 10:49 pm
RNY on 02/21/18

Hey everyone! I had gastric bypass on 2/21 and had my 1 week checkup the other day. I lost a whopping 17 lbs my first week. Obviously that's mostly fluids, but I've been working on making sure my fluid goal is #1 and reached my goal for the first time today. My liver was apparently gigantic and my surgeon had a hard time working around it, but thankfully no complications other than a little excessive (but quite painful) scarring/soft tissue damage around 1 of my incisions (the one they have to go into the most during surgery). He expects it to start feeling a little better within the next few weeks as it heals. Next goal he set for me wa****ting both fluid goals and protein goals, so I'm aiming for 60g protein/day. I'm able to eat pretty well, as long as I chew well and take my time eating. I only find I'm hungry a little later in the evening, but I'm going to try to make sure I'm eating 4-5 very small meals a day to stave off hunger and hit those goals. One of the biggest issues I had the first week was getting in enough fluids. It's really hard to drink at first. I thought protein shakes would be a good way to go so I had stocked up beforehand, but I ended up returning them because the shakes were just too much volume to take in. Instead I bought a tub of powdered whey protein isolate/mix and I mix the powder in whatever I'm eating, like yogurt or soup. It's much easier to get protein in thst way at first. Anyway, good luck to everyone. :)

peachpie
on 3/3/18 3:34 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Welcome. Great job focusing on fluids. Be sure you are accounting for the protein correctly. You need to use/consume the entire scoop (which is huge IMO) to get the protein value on the nutrition label. Many powders don't mix well into hot liquids.

All the best!

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Writergurl08
on 3/3/18 4:51 am
RNY on 02/15/18

I was only able to do 4oz of liquids per hour, so I'd mix a whole scoop of protein drink (or pour 4oz of a Premier Protein shake) then just put what I wasn't using in the fridge and made sure I finished the whole amount by the end of the day (so I knew I was getting the full serving)

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Kathy1212
on 3/3/18 9:55 am

You're doing great! The pain will get a little better every day.

When I was a new post op, it took me all day and night to get in two premier protein shakes and my water every day. I remember having to stay up late to get it all in. I'm glad you found a way to get it in that works for you.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active
Recent Topics