Caloric intake with exercise

Gavs50
on 5/8/18 10:43 am

It has been a very long time since I have posted but I have learned that this group will always be there for me. I am currently just shy of 2 years out and am really doing well. 310 HW 175 LW 185 CW. I exercise a ton and have achieved huge success since my surgery and I am looking for anyone else who has done the same.

Here's an example- I am training for another Marathon so if I go out and run 15 to 20 miles for a training run and burn 3000 calories doing it what should my caloric intake be for the day prior the day of and the day after a day like that ?

I tipicly don't want to eat a ton the day of a long run but I do drink over 100 grams of protein and that shake alone has 800 calories just by itself.

Any thought you can all provide I would appreciate them. Thanks

Laura in Texas
on 5/8/18 11:00 am

You may want to ask this on the Exercise and Fitness forum.

I generally eat the same number of calories every day even when I workout but some other marathoners here may be able to tell you what works for them.

Good luck. Losing is the easy part. Maintenance is hard.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Gavs50
on 5/8/18 11:19 am

Thanks I will shot that forum a message.

Emiepie
on 5/8/18 11:11 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Hi, I am by no means an expert but I have done a few 1/2 marathons and typically run about 30 miles throughout the week regularly. For my body, I have not needed to adjust my diet during training or days right before one of my races. I carry a string cheese, boiled egg or protein bar in my pouch on race day and may or may not eat it depending on how I feel (I usually don't). I think it might be different if I was doing a full though. Anyhow, just my thoughts-good luck.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Gavs50
on 5/8/18 11:21 am

Thanks for your perspective. If your running 30 miles a week you should be doing a marathon. Keep it up that's awesome.

Emiepie
on 5/8/18 2:11 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

I am not sure why I haven't felt the urge to do a full yet....maybe some day.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

ScottAndrews
on 5/8/18 11:17 am
RNY on 03/20/17

Wait running 15-20 miles only burns 3,000 Cals?

Now I don't feel bad not running!

ScaleSkater
on 5/8/18 11:41 am

I trained and ran Pavvo Nurmi during one of my major weight loss phases years prior to surgery. So I haven't run any distance post-RNY. However, I expect my body to respond relatively similarly to my prior training (though I'm not sure I'd do another marathon). I didn't need any loading prior to a long run or the marathon. Actually the few times I got talked into trying different things just landed a few extra pounds on me. I found that I just needed to eat good the day before - good nutrition, but my normal profile. Then at 10 miles I'd start consuming 100 calories every 40 minutes or so. I carried 5 GUs on my marathon (4 planned to consume and 1 backup if I bonked near the end). Why not use your training runs as a gauge. How do you feel as you get near the end of the long runs and then that night and next morning?

That's my plan as I get back into running. No significant added calories, but like Emepie I'll likely try a protein heavy bar with some limited but good carbs and cut them up into 100 calorie bites. I've got some time before I need to practice that. But that day will come for me soon. Forget the 3000 calorie thinking and just feel your body and then fuel as needed. Loading isn't necessary, but maybe burn and churn during the run can help to keep you strong through the run - but again only for LR over a bonk distance.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

Gavs50
on 5/8/18 11:44 am

Great info thank you.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/8/18 12:03 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I don't do marathons, but I've done some long-distance cycling events. I typically don't adjust my calorie intake by much. I'll do some slow-burning carbs before I head out-- typically steel-cut oats with a bit of peanut butter-- but otherwise keep my eating normal.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views