Thoughts on this as a backup option

Partlypollyanna
on 9/2/18 6:44 am
RNY on 02/14/18

i didn't buy this but saw it at the store - I'm still trying to build a "in a pinch you can grab this framework". This looks like it could be a good option but I'm thinking there must be something I'm missing. 130 calories, 20 protein, 8 carb per bottle, the sugars are stevia and monk fruit. I've looked for all the gotchas I can think of (portion size, hidden sugar). This is the cafe au lait version, they had a mocha and vanilla with similar profiles. If there's no gotcha, maybe I'll put it on the try list.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

catwoman7
on 9/2/18 6:50 am
RNY on 06/03/15

looks fine to me - I'd drink it

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

selhard
on 9/2/18 7:25 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Hi, good idea to run it by seasoned-lookers pointing out pros and cons. Until it was revealed here, I purchased Greek yogurt paying little attention it contained fillers like gelatin. Now, I buy Great Value brand plain, whole milk Greek yogurt with two ingredients listed--whole milk and active cultures. One item in your picture of ingredients I do not care for is chicory root--pretty sure it is a cheap way for companies to boost fiber content--pretty sure chicory root gives me gas; how's that for a gotcha. Guessing the price per bottle is another gotcha, but like you said, "in a pinch."

Partlypollyanna
on 9/2/18 12:14 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Oh thank you, I wouldn't have thought of that. Definitely will move this to a try At home option!

Jen

Writergurl08
on 9/2/18 7:29 am
RNY on 02/15/18

I'd probably try it as well. Maybe at home first to see if the chicory root gives you the same effect as the above poster?

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

The Salty Hag
on 9/2/18 11:17 am
RNY on 05/20/13

The stats look decent. I would also try it at home first just in case some of the ingredients don't sit well. If you buy it, try it, and all goes well, I don't see anything wrong with using it if you need it.

I will caution you with this: once you're further out, and if you need to eat, a shake alone may not be enough to sustain you. If I'm out and haven't brought something with me and I need to eat, I have to find something more solid. Maybe you'll be a lucky one that can have a shake and feel satisfied even at years and years out, but I haven't been as fortunate. A shake at this point wouldn't do me any good, so I always choose cheese sticks, jerky, nuts, or ( if I can find them ) the meat/mozzarella paninos instead.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Partlypollyanna
on 9/2/18 12:15 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I am trying to keep the meat sticks or jerky in my bag at all times!

Jen

Daisydoo02
on 9/2/18 12:00 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

I think that looks yummy and the stats are good in my opinion. Go for it.

I do want to second what Audrey said about as you are further out (or even now) you want to eat food not drink protein shakes as they will not fill you up, speaking from experience.

I live in Canada but when I was down visiting JB in Boston she turned me on to Trader Joes, and they have IMO the best tasting meat sticks ever, the "Chomps" brand and I know you get them at TJ.

JB also told me about "Sargento Balanced Breaks" and "P3 Protein Packs." I know the balanced breaks are available at any US grocery store and the P3 packs are at Target I believe. Great on the go snacks, and they can fit in a suitcase or carry on if traveling or in your purse if out for the day. The balanced breaks and the chomps meat sticks are my favourite!

Let us know if you try the protein drink and how it tastes/sits with you.

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Partlypollyanna
on 9/2/18 12:18 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Thank you! I have just recently tried the chomps and am keeping them in my bag. My plan says no nuts for the first year but I see the RD and Bari Nurse next month and I am going to question that! It would be nice to have nuts as an emergency. I am so paranoid about being on a plane and suddenly starving to death, lol.

Jen

Daisydoo02
on 9/2/18 12:26 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

no nuts for a year? I have never heard that? Yes do question that because that seems a bit weird to me. I guess for people who can't stop at a pre portion amount of nuts and over eat them then it might be a problem as nuts are calorie dense. But the great thing about nuts for me is they are filling and have great fat in them for keeping me regular. I think if you have one of the P3 packs or the balanced break it would be fine as its all pre portioned. Having a bag of nuts around may not be a good idea until a year out.

And yes I totally get the same feeling of "what if I am at xxx and I don't have any food or a snack, especially on a plane, not like you can go and grab something at the convenience store! At almost 5 yrs out I have stashes of snacks everywhere (Car, purse, desk at work, gym bag) in case I get hungry then I know I have a healthy protein option!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views