two week liquid diet before surgery

bluebutterfly17
on 9/6/18 6:46 am
RNY on 09/17/18

Hello everyone! Well I'm not sure if this has been discussed but if it has I apologize in advance. I will be having my surgery on September 17 and I started my pre-surgery liquid diet today. Now my worry is my sugars, I'm diabetic and was told to replace only one meal with protein shakes because of the diabetes. Will my liver still shrink if I only replace one meal with a shake? I'm thinking of reducing my insulin since I won't be eating and Im scared my sugar will drop significantly. I hate how I feel when it drops.

With hard work comes results

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/6/18 7:56 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Call your surgeon's office and ask. They almost certainly have helped other patients with diabetes through the same process and can tell you how to adjust.

I don't have diabetes, but I would imagine that reducing your insulin without medical guidance could be a Very Bad Idea.

bluebutterfly17
on 9/6/18 9:59 am
RNY on 09/17/18

I'm going to call them up today. I have played with my dosage before but it was only a one day thing.

Writergurl08
on 9/6/18 10:21 am
RNY on 02/15/18

Your endocrinologist (or whomever is working with your diabetes specifically) should be closely looped in while you're going through this process to advise about any changes in meds. Mine had me reduce by half when I started the liquid diet, but I was on full liquids, no solid meals. I didn't take my meds the day before surgery and never restarted them.

Mad for the rest of your meals, I'd keep them mostly protein and non starchy veg, go as low carb as possible to help with the liver shrinking, just keep a close eye on your sugars. If you eat good protein and some fat, your numbers should stay somewhat level. *again, consult with your doctor*

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

bluebutterfly17
on 9/6/18 1:28 pm
RNY on 09/17/18

I saw endo, surgeon and pcp, all agree on that I should do one shake and have two regular meals but I feel like one shake wont shrink my liver in two weeks time. I just don't want things to go south the day of my surgery because its too big, that would suck. But I'm just going to push how I feel aside and do as they said. I pray things workout fine.

ScaleSkater
on 9/6/18 10:33 am

This is not the place to get this type of advise as your surgeon is making the determination here for you. Follow his/her instructions and enjoy the ride. It's actually a lot of work - but I'm having a blast now. Join us!!!!

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

bluebutterfly17
on 9/6/18 1:40 pm
RNY on 09/17/18

Im not really asking for advice. I'm guess I was hoping someone that's been in the same situation would give their turn-out. I've already seen my providers for medical advice.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 339 views