Hello!

Irishteacher
on 12/31/18 5:16 am

Hi, I'm a newly rouxed woman from Ireland. My op was 11th December. I have been reading lots of posts in the past couple of weeks and they are so helpful and informative. I hope that I am as successful and dedicated as the Vets who continue to inspire and help.

At a mere three weeks out I have to say it has been physically easy with very little discomfort, but emotionally I have faltered occasionally. The logical part of me knows that once I know what foods suit me I will be fine. Sometimes I can't face yoghurt, shakes or soup so I do without and just have tea or milk. I'll have to work on that to get the protein levels up. My resolution is to try something new each day and meet the 2 litres of fluids goal.

It's lovely to find a community to talk to. I haven't told anyone about my surgery for the moment because I couldn't face judgment, resentment, advice or constant conversation around the surgery. In time I may tell people but my cover story for now is that I gave up junk food, sugar and carbs.

The very best of luck to everyone no matter what stage you're at. May you have health, prosperity and happiness in 2019.

bethmal
on 12/31/18 6:17 am
RNY on 12/26/17

Hello and welcome!

I didn't tell anyone but my family about my surgery at first. Just like you, I didn't want to hear the backlash. But now everyone knows and I don't even care. It is my body and my life! I hope one day you will feel the same way, it is very freeing.

There is a lot of knowledge on this board. I have asked, listened and learned from so many. I was a lurker at first but now I participate in the daily menu. I have gotten so many ideas of what to eat and when to change things up.

You are on your way to a great New Year!

You can't measure your achievements with someone else's yardstick!

Revision from lapband to RNY 12/26/17 with Dr. Caitlin Halbert

HW 260 SW 248 CW 154 GW 145

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

catwoman7
on 12/31/18 6:56 am
RNY on 06/03/15

welcome! Ireland is a lovely country - I spent three weeks there several years ago and have always wanted to go back!!

and yes - the first few weeks post-op are tricky. Some foods don't sit well or don't taste right. It'll pass. I can tolerate pretty much everything now.

I didn't tell many people at first, either. I'm more open about it now, but I still don't tell everyone. Most people now are either used to the new me or never knew me as obese, but I still occasionally run into someone I knew from years ago. If I'm not particularly close to them and don't want them to know, I'll still say I did it through low-carbing, exercising, and working with a dietitian. Unless they're also overweight or obese - then I'm honest. People who've struggled with their weight know that almost never works!!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Partlypollyanna
on 12/31/18 8:11 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Welcome! Definitely come here and learn from the vets, we're all in the same boat, just different positions. I have learned so much in the 10 months I have been on here!

It's not really a cover story to say you've given up junk food, sugar and carbs -- you have done all those things! Do make sure you're getting your protein and fluids in though, I think everyone can relate to the "ugh, another liquid meal" from early out...but it's so important to your recovery!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Emiepie
on 12/31/18 10:08 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Welcome! This place is great for knowledge and support. Stick around and keep stepping and sipping!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Kathy S.
on 12/31/18 11:52 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Welcome Irishteacher,

We are so happy to have you here Great site, great forum for support and information. Let us know if you need anything and we look forward to your updates.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Au_Contraire
on 12/31/18 12:43 pm

Welcome! It's so nice to meet you. Congratulations on your surgery! It takes courage and resolve to take that step. I have told very few people beyond my family about my surgery, as I tend to be a pretty private person about such things, and I don't want to be unkindly and ignorantly judged, or feel that I have to defend my healthcare choices. But here on OH we all really do understand what each other is going through! The support we receive here is invaluable. I hope that you join our daily menu thread - I find it to be very helpful. Merry Christmas to you, and Happy New Year!

Au_Contraire
on 12/31/18 12:45 pm

Welcome! It's so nice to meet you. Congratulations on your surgery! It takes courage and resolve to take that step. I have told very few people beyond my family about my surgery, as I tend to be a pretty private person about such things, and I don't want to be unkindly and ignorantly judged, or feel that I have to defend my healthcare choices. But here on OH we all really do understand what each other is going through! The support we receive here is invaluable. I hope that you join our daily menu thread - I find it to be very helpful. Merry Christmas to you, and Happy New Year!

Irishteacher
on 12/31/18 5:59 pm

Thank you so much for your kind welcomes. It's a lovely start to what I hope will be an exciting new life. All warm thoughts and best wishes to ye.

White Dove
on 12/31/18 8:15 pm - Warren, OH

My family is from County Mayo, Ballinrobe

Aithnionn ciarog ciarog eile

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 448 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 403 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views