Revision

Looking4home
on 2/16/19 3:23 pm, edited 2/21/19 3:13 pm
Revision on 04/05/19

Hi

I am New here. I was sleeved near the end of 2014. Life has happen. I need a revision. I am 50 pounds less than my first time at this. I have been trying to get to a normal weight.

I have gone through a deep depression, major health issues and then some. So, I feel that the next step for me is revision. There are days when I feel like a failure. Other days, I realize that life is about making choices. My choice is to do this to the extreme. I worked out for almost 1.5 years. The scale did not move. Life has kicked me in the butt. However, I am not giving up. This tool and counseling will help me get to my health goals.

I am not perfect. I am worth this last chance. Any advice would be appreciate!

Thanks

catwoman7
on 2/17/19 6:25 am
RNY on 06/03/15

they say weight loss is about 80% diet, 20% exercise - so it's imperative to focus on the food you're eating. Are you weighing/measuring and tracking your food intake? I still do it almost four years out, and I know I'll have to continue to do it for the rest of my life. If I stop paying attention for more than a couple of days, my weight starts heading north again...

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Looking4home
on 2/17/19 3:54 pm
Revision on 04/05/19

I dont know why? But, I am afraid that being sleeved is not enough at this time. I understand what you are saying.

If I had bypass before? I woild probably be dead. I have extreme GERD.

I exercised and tried to do all the correct things. I even tried not to eat at all. I been through heck. This is my best option. I am not giving up. Yes, there are things that I have started over. I just need this push.

Mary Gee
on 2/17/19 4:11 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I had surgery in 2014 too. I never reached goal because, as you say, life happens. I have been trying and trying for ages to get back on track.

I have never given up. I had the sleeve too. I know my issues are not with the sleeve. I've tested my restriction....and it's still there. One bite too much of chicken breast and I'm in big trouble!

Now I'm pre-planning my meals and weighing and tracking everything. This week I have an appointment at the surgery center. I'm planning on getting into the non-surgical program.

One thing I've learned is that life continues to "happen" and I have to deal better with the ups and downs.

I assume you would have to go thru the whole pre-op process again. Maybe try to follow the bariatric program while you're going thru the pre-op stage to see if you can back on track. And you mentioned counseling....that's a good idea because we continuously have issues to deal with and counseling may help you out in that regard.

Best of luck to you.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

MarinaGirl
on 2/17/19 5:16 pm

Do you currently have GERD? If so, then revision to RNY is the best solution for resolving or minimizing GERD.

A known risk of VSG surgery is development of GERD or worsening of pre-existing GERD. Therefore, it is not uncommon for people to revise from VSG to RNY to correct the problem. Good news is that additional weight loss often occurs due to malabsorption, which is in effect for approx. 2 years post-RNY. However, for long lasting weight loss and maintenance you must address your food addiction issues and eat healthy food & appropriate portion sizes.

All bariatric surgeries can be eaten around so revision surgery won't be a magic solution if you don't change your relationship with food.

Looking4home
on 2/17/19 8:11 pm
Revision on 04/05/19

I have GERD. The thought of revision is about 6mts old. It was not my first choice. However, it should provided the relief I need. It will also increased my tool.

I love to be in the gym. I love feeling better. I hate that at my current weight; I am still "obese."

I am not perfect. However, I am working on becoming my healthiest self using all the tools available. Currently, I am hopefull. Which didnt seem possible at the start of 2018.

Kathy S.
on 2/18/19 8:05 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

My advice is another surgery may not be the answer... Most of the time it's due to us getting away from the basics that helped us in the first place. Here is a list for you. Make sure you are doing all the steps you need to start losing again. Continue with getting help with your head issues, they beat us every time.. YOU CAN DO THIS!

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein. If you didn't make a Weight Loss Surgery bucket list when you first had surgery do it now. GREAT reminder of all the things you can enjoy in life after losing weight.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. I found once I started carrying one of the metal bottles of water to keep it cold I drank water all day.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. Grab a cart and walk all the isles at your local box store. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group. Come here on OH daily for support and participate in one of the food threads. It helps you be accountable and also great ideas for food prep.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Looking4home
on 2/18/19 7:26 pm
Revision on 04/05/19

Wow thank you for your honesty, information and opinion. I truly appreciate the time you took to reached out. After much research and debate. I realize that revision will push that restart button. I'm not looking for an easy way out. I'm looking for some relief and change.

What is so cool to me? You took the time to make me think! I am working on my issues. This is a big deal. As professionally for last 19 years; I have successfully helped others heal and change. I'm ready for this extended tool. I get that it's only 20%. I am going to add my 100% to this process.

Kathy S.
on 2/19/19 5:44 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Only "YOU" know what is best for you. Keep us posted on how things go and we are here to support you all the way

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Looking4home
on 2/19/19 7:53 pm, edited 2/21/19 6:51 am
Revision on 04/05/19

Thank you! I am going to need support. I have my husband who is always in my corner. However, only one N5ew friend who's gone down this road.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 448 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 403 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views