You may want to add Iceland to your bucket list!

Dcgirl
on 2/18/19 6:54 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

You guys, Iceland was magical.

I honestly had never really had it super high on my list of places to visit, and we chose it because Kris' sister (who ended up CANCELING on us a week prior) really wanted to see the Northern Lights. And tickets were super cheap on WOW Air from Baltimore. It's seriously a majestic, gorgeous, friendly country...and I wish we could have stayed another two weeks to keep exploring.

The only downside is how expensive things are once you are there - namely food and booze. For example, fish and chips for two will run you $40-$50. But the fish is super fresh and delicious, and though I don't eat lamb, that is a specialty as well. I am going to figure out how to make their fish stew - creamy and delicious.

The only thing we didn't see and really wanted to, was the Northern Lights. We had a couple of clear nights, but there wasn't much solar activity, so although we tried each night, it wasn't happening :(

I wanted to share some pics...and the realization that so much of this trip would not have been possible before my RNY. I would not have been able to walk 15,000-20,000 steps a day. I would not have been able to hike in their national park. I would have been nervous about snowmobiling (is there a weight limit?). All in all, this trip just encapsulates how much more I can DO as a normal-weighted person. I am so so grateful for the life my surgery has given me.

A view of Reykjavic, from the planetarium up on a hill. 250,000 people live in the "capital region" - and the entire country only has 350,000 people! Sheeps outnumber humans 3:1.

The view at Thingvellir, their National Park, where the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates come together. We hiked here one morning. Gullfoss Waterfall, half frozen! Kerio Crater which 'apparently' is red rock with a green lake in the middle...but we drove through a blizzard on our way there and so it was all white! Haha! The name "geyser" comes from Geysir, this area in Iceland where water bubbles under the ground (literally you can see it BOILING). They use geothermal heating in houses and under roads all over the country! While Geysir isn't active without an earthquake, there is an active geyser next to it, named Strokkur, which explodes every few minutes. It's amazing...while I haven't been in a physical science class in about 25 years, it reminded me that the core of our earth is boiling magma! Probably one of the coolest experience I have ever had - we went snowmobiling on a glacier! Me, on a snowmobile! Lounging in the Secret Lagoon, right next to another geyser, where they actually have to pipe in COLD water so the water isn't boiling you alive. It was 14 degrees out, and after you take the mandatory naked public shower, you have to walk OUTSIDE to get in the lagoon! It was surreal, but awesome!

Dcgirl
on 2/18/19 6:55 am, edited 2/18/19 7:11 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

ETA - food was totally WLS friendly - high protein Skyr yogurt, fish and lamb!

MarinaGirl
on 2/18/19 7:09 am

I LOVE Iceland! I've visited 2 times. After seeing your pics, it reminds me of my trips, and makes me want to go again. The people are soooo friendly. I also did snow mobiling on a glacier and felt like I was on an episode of the "Amazing Race!"

Partlypollyanna
on 2/18/19 7:20 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Your snowy Reykjavik picture is the best picture of Reykjavik I've seen - amazing!

You're going to want to go back and do the ring road; that's what happened to us...the first visit is just the taste, and then you are hooked, lol!

I am so glad you had fun...Now I want to go back in winter!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Dcgirl
on 2/18/19 7:24 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I was literally in awe, the entire time. I loved loved loved it! Thank you so much for your help in planning my itinerary! I feel like I have to go back and see the southern coast as well as up north to see puffins!!! (side note, I am totally a meat eater but when I saw puffin on menus I felt kinda sad. They're just so cute!)

Partlypollyanna
on 2/18/19 8:59 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I feel the same way, I could not/would not eat the puffin.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Emiepie
on 2/18/19 7:35 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Love all the pics you have shared. I am glad you had such a great time!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

catwoman7
on 2/18/19 7:41 am
RNY on 06/03/15

everyone I know who's been there has loved it! I'd better put it on my bucket list!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Sheila_H
on 2/18/19 8:18 am - Central Coast, CA
RNY on 06/26/17

It looks like such a fun trip. Although we are happy to have you back.

After seeing these pics I am putting Iceland on my to visit list. So, Em/Jen, when is a good time of the year to visit? I'm thinking next year both kids will graduate, one from college and one from high school so it's a good excuse for a great trip.

SW:261 6/26/17 GW:150 10/6/18

CW: High 140s

PGW: 140-142

Dcgirl
on 2/18/19 8:34 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Well, it was super cold (like freezing or below) while we were there, but the landscape was just so gorgeous! Most of the Icelandic people thought that this last week was perfect - so pretty and snow-covered. Apparently summer is normally in the 50s! I know Jen went in May and thought it was great. One of the Icelandic people we talked to said he didn't like summer since it's not warm really, and the roads are tough due to potholes, though the roads weren't always ideal as we drove through whiteout conditions at times lol. They do seem to have a lot of plows. Since your daughter will (hopefully) be getting a full-time job after college, I would think maybe right when they get out of school could be perfect. WOW Air flies SO cheap from BWI...maybe the three of you could come visit your daughter (if she ends up staying in the DC area) and then fly for cheap from here! It's so so so gorgeous, I can't say enough good things!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views