Delayed Restriction

JenO8396
on 2/22/19 9:35 am

Did anyone experience a delayed restriction after gastric bypass? I'm at one month post-op and was able to take in four to six ounces of pureed food. Now that I am beginning to switch to solids, I can only take in a two ounces at a time. Is this fairly normal in the process as you switch to solids?

My goal is to no longer allow food to be detrimental to my health and well-being, but rather learn to utilize food to enhance it!

Partlypollyanna
on 2/22/19 9:47 am
RNY on 02/14/18

You may want to follow up with your doctor just to make sure there's no issue but even a year out, I can eat more squshy soft foods (yogurt or scrambled eggs for example) than I can dense proteins. It is one of the reasons, once your through all your doctor's food progression phases, they say dense proteins first!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Writergurl08
on 2/22/19 10:19 am
RNY on 02/15/18

Yup, until now you've been eating things that slide through your pouch. The solid stuff will stay in your pouch longer, so it will take less to fill you up. Just be sure you're following your doctors instructions for how much you should be weighing out or measuring for your meals. It is VERY easy to overeat otherwise and make yourself sick.

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

kairosgrammy
on 2/22/19 10:26 am
RNY on 10/17/17
On February 22, 2019 at 5:35 PM Pacific Time, JenO8396 wrote:

Did anyone experience a delayed restriction after gastric bypass? I'm at one month post-op and was able to take in four to six ounces of pureed food. Now that I am beginning to switch to solids, I can only take in a two ounces at a time. Is this fairly normal in the process as you switch to solids?

This is pretty common. Pureed/liquid foods do not remain in your pouch however more solid foods will remain in your pouch and are released much more slowly. It's like a ball with a hole in the bottom. Liquids and pureed go right through but solid foods are denser and bigger so the hole in the bottom won't easily release the more solid stuff. I also find my restriction is variable. Some days it's great and other days I can and want to eat more. Don't know the whys or wherefores, it just is what it is.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/23/19 9:48 am

The type of food I eat, hi dense it is even now, close to 11 years post op can determine how much I can eat without pushing the boundaries. Really.

In addition, at one month out post op the nerves that were cut during surgery are starting to regrow, and if you really take time to eat your food, chewing really well, you may discover that even one ounce of dense proteins is all you can eat.

Saying that - as far from my surgery as I am, I can get full eating just under 6-8 oz of some foods. But then in no time I can eat an apple (peeled and cut, chewed very well)

Different foods affect my capacity differently. Lately I introduced apples to my diet. And I can eat 2 large apples (app 1 lbs worth) with absolutely no problem. I had a small regain, and when I switched to keto-paleo type diet to lose the regain, I physically can't eat enough to maintain. Too much fat can give me runs, and just proteins with some non starchy veggies - limits the qty of food I can physically eat. Plus following that type of diet, and some of the meds I am on, I often have no appetite to eat.

Eating more carbs restore the appetite, plus it makes my pouch less sensitive to volume of food I can stuff inside.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views