Feeling anxious, please help.

kairosgrammy
on 3/31/19 1:33 pm
RNY on 10/17/17
On March 27, 2019 at 5:53 PM Pacific Time, GirNNJ wrote:

Had revision to Gastric Bypass on 1/23. Been slowly losing. Last time I saw surgeon (March 4) he was happy with my 30 lb weight loss. I just weighed myself and I am up 2 lbs from last week. I don't want to "fail" like I did with the Sleeve (I had major trama 6 months after that surgery). Is this "normal" after this surgery? Could I be lacking enough protein? Any and all advice is welcomed. I am focused on being successful this time hence the anxiety that is creeping up in me. Thank you all!!!

First of all, don't panic. Your weight will fluctuate. When you weigh, weigh at the same time with the same clothes (I weigh at home so I'm naked when I weigh officially, LOL). You may be retaining some water, may be Aunt Flow and her shenanigans (thank God Aunt Flow is no longer my friend, I miss her not at all) or if you are like me, constipated.

Track your food, be sure to get enough protein and hydrate like a fiend. Staying hydrated strangely helps with water retention. Be a meal planner and prepper, it helps a lot.

Also, I'm not a doctor or any other medical kinda person but I've heard that weight loss is slower for revision surgery and that may be a part of the picture. I know I have several friends who are revision patients and they do report a slower weight loss. Keep in mind, a touchdown is 6 points whether you score in 4 plays or 14. I use that analogy a lot because it fits so well with our journey. We want 5 lbs every week, we want to be at goal in a flash but we are all different and we all get where we are going at different rates and in different ways. You are probably overly worried because of your difficulty with your sleeve surgery.

If you continue having problems, talk to the nutritionist at your bariatric clinic. That's what they are there for and I'm sure, yours will want to help. If you are tracking, she should be able to look and see if you are eating something that would influence your weight loss and give you suggestions on how to modify how you are eating.

Exercise if you can. If you have mobility issues, look on you tube for chair exercises or try yoga, etc. Walk, walking is great exercise. I was on a walker when I had surgery. I walked every day even though I had the walker. You just have to have a place you can walk with a walker. Walmart worked well for me. I just walked around the store and up and down the aisles. Malls, places with sidewalks (if you aren't in the snowy north), etc are conducive to walkers, particularly rolling walkers.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

GirNNJ
on 4/4/19 8:25 am - NJ

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I am taking them to heart. While my nutritionist is nice, I'm not really comfortable with her. I've thought about asking my surgeon if they deal with a different nutritionist. I actually do have mobility issues. Going to physical therapy right now for 2 bulging discs in my lower back that have me in constant pain and stiffness. And it makes it very difficult for walk longer than 10 minutes. I also have a really bad knee that needs to be replaced (the other knee was replaced in 2/18). You're right about Youtube. It's def. a place I can find chair exercises. I do need to move more. Trying to get in all my protein and water. I also need to find recipes. I keep having the same thing which is getting old. That can't be helping me. Again, I really appreciate your help and advice.

kairosgrammy
on 4/4/19 3:53 pm
RNY on 10/17/17
On April 4, 2019 at 3:25 PM Pacific Time, GirNNJ wrote:

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I am taking them to heart. While my nutritionist is nice, I'm not really comfortable with her. I've thought about asking my surgeon if they deal with a different nutritionist. I actually do have mobility issues. Going to physical therapy right now for 2 bulging discs in my lower back that have me in constant pain and stiffness. And it makes it very difficult for walk longer than 10 minutes. I also have a really bad knee that needs to be replaced (the other knee was replaced in 2/18). You're right about Youtube. It's def. a place I can find chair exercises. I do need to move more. Trying to get in all my protein and water. I also need to find recipes. I keep having the same thing which is getting old. That can't be helping me. Again, I really appreciate your help and advice.

Look for keto recipes. I'm not a fan of keto and you have to be careful but they will be low carb which is good. Also, I lot of WLS patients do keto with good success and I've heard it's good for inflammatory conditions like arthritis. I like a little carbs and since I'm trying to maintain, I find some carbs help with that. No bread, pasta or white rice. I've been experimenting with some whole grains like farro, quinoa and barley. They are complex carbs and also have a fair amount of protein. I love my air fryer and my instant pot. I made a turkey meatloaf this past weekend and it was so good. Very simple, just turkey (mine was 90% lean), some pork rinds and teff flour (if you can find whole wheat panko, that would probably work), an egg but I think 2 eggs would be better and then some seasonings. Did a pot in pot cooking and it was so good. I got the teff flour on Amazon. It's a seed or grain which is carby but it also has a fairly high protein content.

I'm not a big person for sauces and such and I'm a pretty plain, jane kinda cook. I have found a lot of go tos though. I love the mozzarella chicken sausages and asiago spinach chicken sausages at Sam's Club. I also like the cauliflowered rice & cauliflower mashed potatoes that are low carb and zoodles, love them. I also don't mind eating the same thing for several days in a row so that helps. Tuna creations are good and high in protein. Love sardines and stuff like that which I know is not everyone's cup of tea. I also still use premier protein. I make an iced coffee which is 1 cup of strong coffee (the packaging says expresso but I don't think it really is), 1 premier protein, stevia and optional, I love Torani's Sugar Free Syrups and put 2 tbsp in with it. So good. Still love protein smoothies also.

I know about the back issues. That was why I was on a walker and they kept thinking it was my SI joint. Turned out to be a bad disc and a bad hip joint. Shots helped me but mine is back with a vengeance so I completely understand. Have you had surgery or anything? I have a friend who did and it really helped her a lot. But then I've heard others who had worse problems after surgery.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics