have gained 30lbs in 3 months! help! how do I begin to lose?

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/9/19 3:32 pm

If you have not drastically changed your diet and gained weight - that would concern me. Unless you started taking new medications.

Some new meds side effects is weight gain. Did they prescribe any new meds for fibromyalgia? I have fibromyalgia type pain, but I think mine is due to SIBO and leaky gut syndrome. But some meds they prescribe for fibromyalgia or nerve pain (lyrica, gabapentin, etc) are known to cause weight gain in some people.

the mechanism of the weight gain on those meds is not clearly understood as far as I know. Some people blame that on the drugs increasing appetite, while decreasing metabolic rate of the person.

Sometimes as we age, and things are stop working well, we may develop hypothyroid. if nothing else, ask a doc to run a full panel (not only TSH) for your thyroid hormones.

BTW: my pituitary don't work very well, and very often my TSH is really nice and low, but not too low, but T4 and T3 are way too low what they suppose to be. But for now I don't gain weight, and other markers that may indicate I need more thyroids hormones are fine, so my doc and I, we try to avoid to put me on yet another medication.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kathy S.
on 4/10/19 5:23 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Ditto as everyone has said, if there is not a medical reason for your regain you may have gotten away from the basics that got you to goal and kept you there. I would explore medical reasons more as it seems like you put on a great amount of weight very quickly....

Here are some steps that helped me and I hope they will help you too!

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein. If you didn't make a Weight Loss Surgery bucket list when you first had surgery do it now. GREAT reminder of all the things you can enjoy in life after losing weight.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. I found once I started carrying one of the metal bottles of water to keep it cold I drank water all day.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. Grab a cart and walk all the isles at your local box store. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group. Come here on OH daily for support and participate in one of the food threads. It helps you be accountable and also great ideas for food prep.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

laceydore
on 4/14/19 10:08 pm
Mini Gastric Bypass on 03/15/10

Thank you all for your helpful notes of encouragements. I truly am having such a HARD TIME! As soon as i wake up, I go straight to getting something to eat. I don't know how not to. It's been a horrible habit of mine, even when i was thin. I'm having the hardest time getting myself to get off my ass and do my new Pilates. I wish I had someone here to do it with, that would obviously get my butt in gear. I'm so scared that I'm going to be fat for the rest of my life. Every time I see myself in the mirror, I feel sick to my stomach and try not to cry. My GB Dr. said that there no surgical way of correcting this, I need to go to my nutritionists and maybe take some medications. They said he doesnt prescribe meds, but he can maybe he can give me the names of some Dr's who could. Fingers crossed. '

laceydore
on 4/14/19 10:36 pm
Mini Gastric Bypass on 03/15/10

So, I don't remember if I told u guys this, but not only am I gaining an extreme amount of weight, sometimes it is 2lbs a day. BUT, I also am suffering from SOMETHING, ofcourse none of the damn Dr.s have figured it yet, I've even got to have a colonoscopy, they said everything looks great in there, yet, half of the time I when I eat, my stomach bloats up like i balloon, I LITERALLY look like I'm 6 months preg, the pain is unbearable. Even though they've seen nothing so far, even in my blood work (besides my liver enzemes being really high, and now my cholesteral is really high too). So, I'm going back to my GI Dr. as soon as I can, as well as my GB Dr. (I this he may help more, so he will be my 1st stop. And I know that move move move is what I need to do, but when my fibro or back pain is flared up, it's so unbearable to even consider moving. UGH! I hate my life!

Grim_Traveller
on 4/15/19 2:39 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Its really not possible to eat enough food to consistently gain 2 pounds a day. If that's the case, you may gave some other extremely serious issue going on that's unrelated to your weight loss surgery. If it were me, I would be looking for a different doc with a different approach.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

i_am_insain1
on 4/17/19 3:23 am

Fast, procesed & micowaved foods are our downfall!!!

I use an insapot to cook & reheat my food it seems to me that the 90 seconds it takes to cook it.....I have found makes for fat because you wanna eat it NOW while it's hot & gooooie....I have found that slowing down to make dinner makes "Me" not wanna eat so much when dinner time comes.

I also went Paleo and stopped eating junk, processed foods & fast foods I pack a lunch when I go hunting or shopping etc....I will keep to refuse to be a victim to today's illnesses anymore (aka early death).

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views