Talk to me about what liquids trigger you (dumping)

momyshaver
on 5/17/19 2:57 am
VSG on 06/28/17

I hear this myth so frequently I often default to saying it even though I have heard that is untrue also but I will try to be kinder to what I want to hear in this particular cir****tance iykwim, lol - thanks for posting this article

kairosgrammy
on 5/16/19 9:05 am
RNY on 10/17/17

I drink smoothies but I don't put fruit in them. Generally, protein powder, yogurt, almond milk, some kind of greens, usually spinach & ice. I don't count them in my liquids either. A smoothie is a snack or meal, not for hydration although someone might need to explain that difference to my bladder.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

bethmal
on 5/16/19 4:39 am
RNY on 12/26/17

I have never dumped and drink only water, crystal light and on occasion unsweet ice tea.

You can't measure your achievements with someone else's yardstick!

Revision from lapband to RNY 12/26/17 with Dr. Caitlin Halbert

HW 260 SW 248 CW 154 GW 145

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

momyshaver
on 5/16/19 4:55 am
VSG on 06/28/17

Bariatric weight loss is a moving target. I *might* drink a smoothie just to get calories in because of my situation medically; however, I don't because it is difficult to pace with the sugar in fruit etc. If I were in a normal BMI range I definitely NOT drink my calories as a rule and if I did (such as sugar free coffee creamer) I would track it because it adds up wicked quickly

Partlypollyanna
on 5/16/19 5:21 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Water, coffee (I do use and track half and half or sometimes use RTD protein shake instead), sometimes with SF syrups; unsweet tea (Black, herbal, hot/iced, all good****asionally sparkling flavored water that I've let sit to lose it's sparkle. Very occasionally I will have a heated chocolate premier as "hot chocoate" but I do consider that a treat.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

MarinaGirl
on 5/16/19 7:09 am

I don't dump. I drink plain water, coconu****er, coffee with heavy whipping cream or half-n-half or Premier Protein, and herbal/caffeine-free tea. My favorite beverage in hot weather is iced tea made with hibiscus tea (e.g. The Republic of Tea).

I do not add artificial sweeteners to my beverages or food as I feel they're unhealthy and can lead to consumption of excess carbs, and ones ending in -itol often cause me GI distress.

Background: I am currently in the low normal BMI range and I had gastric bypass more than 2 years ago.

MadisonRose
on 5/16/19 8:01 am
RNY on 01/23/19

I mostly drink water, but also unsweetened iced tea with lots of lemon and premier shakes. I was a huge sweet tea drinker before surgery and now I'm used to unsweetened tea with lemon and water. It has to be super cold though.

Surgery: RNY on 1/23/19

Liz J.
on 5/16/19 8:12 am
DS on 11/29/16

I just love Propel water! I order the powder by the case on Amazon.

Liz

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

kairosgrammy
on 5/16/19 8:49 am
RNY on 10/17/17

I dump on sugary stuff. If you drin****d tea and it's sweetened with real sugar, I would suggest you sweeten with stevia or monk fruit rather than sugar. Sugar and fatty foods are generally what trigger dumping so sugar free everything is your friend. Water is always the best choice but there are crystal lite etc if you can't do plain water that are sugar free and should not trigger dumping. I know there are lemonade and tea options.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/17/19 4:07 am

Anything liquid with more than 6 grams of sugar per 8 oz made me feel bad, if I drink it too fast. Milk has 12 gr of sugar per 8 oz, and some people tolerate that well, and shortly after my surgery I was fine drinking milk. But app 6 month into my journey that sugar, lactose, would make me dump. Dumping on milk was my first real dumping. Not "feeling off" "queasy", little gut ramble, seriously ill, and very tired after it was over.

I learned a valuable lesson, that because something was ok one time, the next time may not be.

Drinking beer anything with natural sugar or sugar added is, IMO really bad idea. That liquid sugar gets into our system very fast, and as liquid, gets absorbed very fast.

Beside sugar, sugar alcohols (SA) can me also. I.e store bought, already prepared chocolate pudding I bought, had enough milk sugar with SA added to make me ill. The dry SF pudding that then I mixed with milk, had artificial sweeteners that I tolerated much better.

When we use sugar grams, it doesn't seem a lot. 4 grams if sugar seams a small amount. Until convert that to teaspoon. 1 teaspoon has 4 grams of sugar. So 8 oz of most milk has 12 grams, or 3 taps of sugar. Imagining the teaspoons vs grams made be better added if I wanted to drink eat something or not.

Typical jerky can have anywhere from 0 to 12, or even 15 grams of sugar for a serving of 2 oz. Visualizing pure sugar crystals pour over the small amount of dry meat could help me make better decisions if I want to buy and eat that. Even some cold cuts has too much sugar for my liking. Sugar taste good, is addictive, and companies add sugar for the food to taste "better" to people.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 451 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 344 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 344 views