Has anyone used the plan B pill after bypass?

Minimom99
on 5/22/19 12:37 am
RNY on 02/14/15

hi, I am 7 years post op am have had to used the plan b pill and wondering if anyone had luck with it. I use to have an IUD but had to get it removed for health reason. But the condom broke & my husband & 100% don't want any more kids & I am really nervous because my surgeon said birth control pills are not effective after surgery. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this.

Sheila_H
on 5/22/19 8:25 am - Central Coast, CA
RNY on 06/26/17

I just googled plan B + RNY. It says EC (emergency contraception) is less effective.

• Gastric bypass, like any other surgery that affects the way you absorb food, also affects how you absorb medications. So oral birth control pills--including combined and progestin-only pills--may be less effective after gastric bypass. That's why the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend choosing another method after gastric bypass surgery. The patch, the ring, the shot, the implant, and IUDs are all just as effective for people who've had this type of surgery. We don't yet know if gastric bypass surgery affects the way that emergency contraception (EC) pills work, but there is some concern that it may make EC pills less effective. A non-hormonal IUD would still be effective as EC for someone who's had this surgery.

SW:261 6/26/17 GW:150 10/6/18

CW: High 140s

PGW: 140-142

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/22/19 8:58 am
RNY on 08/05/19

No experience with plan B, but you may want to consider doubling up on your birth control in the future. I used VCF (vaginal contraceptive film), it was SUPER easy to use and made a nice backup method when I was early post-op!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Laura in Texas
on 5/22/19 9:01 am

I hope the plan b worked for this incident but have you discussed your husband getting a vasectomy? Much less invasive for a man to do this than for a woman to get her tubes tied. That would solve the issue in the future.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 439 views