Second day post op

Dianamar
on 5/26/19 3:50 am - NY

Today (2days post surgery) I physically feel much better. I can drink water without any issues, I can easily get down 1-2 ounces of water every 15 minutes, but everything else gets me nauseous. When I force myself to drink an ounce of clear protein water or Gatorade 0, afterwards, I feel sick. I think it's the sucralose in these products, they just taste extra sweet to me. I am watering down these products to get them down. I have an appointment with my surgeon this coming Thursday, I will be sure to let him know, to see if he has any suggestions. Did anyone else feel like this?

Surgeon: Fernandez, Surgery on 05/24/2019 HW: 290, SW: 268, CW: 224, GW: 180

I exercise to be fit, not skinny...I eat to nourish my body...and I always ignore the haters, doubters and unhealthy examples that were once feeding me. I am worth a lot more than I realize, and that is my daily motivation!

rocky513
on 5/26/19 5:11 am - WI

Nausea is common right after surgery and dehydration is the biggest reason we feel that nausea. I had a hard time with cold drinks. My saving grace was herbal peppermint or ginger tea. The hot tea was easier for me to drink and I did not have to add any sweetener. Try changing up the temperature to see if you can get more fluids in that way. It will get easier.

Keep drinking like it's your job!!!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Dianamar
on 5/26/19 6:25 am - NY

Thank you so much. I've started to drink warm chamomile tea without sweetener, and it goes down really well. It's just the sugar free stuff with sweetener that doesn't sit well, at all. I'm drinking plenty of water and tea, more than 60 ounces. I had very bad inflammation in my joints, which kept me from doing a lot of things, but miraculously today, I have zero pain in my knees, hips, back and shoulders, it's so crazy! I'm very happy I did the surgery, but I'm hoping the discomfort (not pain) in my abdomen goes away.

I exercise to be fit, not skinny...I eat to nourish my body...and I always ignore the haters, doubters and unhealthy examples that were once feeding me. I am worth a lot more than I realize, and that is my daily motivation!

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/26/19 6:55 am

The joins pain may be food - diet related. Fasting - what you practically doing now - shows you probably have a leaky gut Syndrome, that may be causing inflammation in joints. Arthritis like pain may be induced by diet.

Once you start eating- drinking proteins - I would start a very detailed food and joints pain diary. Hopefully you can discover what food can cause the joints inflammation.

I have been dealing with that during last year and this. Last year I went in a "see-food" diet.

See-food diet =you see food, you eat it. Plus I was indulging in some alcohol drinks, to help me deal with gut pains when I ate "whatever". The diet was not really bad, but it included foods that I knew I used to be sensitive to, intolerant, or even allergic.

Unfortunately that created inflammation in my small intestine, and since I ignored that, that eventually caused some damage to my intestines and then came horrible joints pain. Not eating for 2 days (u had colonoscopy) significantly reduced most of the joints pain. That pain returned when I started eating again. I am working on healing my gut, and discovering foods that cause more inflammation and pain. (I.e apples, pepper, tomatoes, etc) .

Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Dianamar
on 5/26/19 7:33 am - NY

I'm sorry I didn't clarify with regards to the pain in my joints. I've had pain in my joints my whole life. Post surgery, the pain is totally gone.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/26/19 8:37 am

And your whole life it may have been due to undiscovered food allergies, gluten and lectins intolerances, and other allergies or sensitivities you don't even know you have.

I may be wrong, but surgery not only changed the configuration of your intestines, but last few days you have been on almost complete fast. That in itself may indicate food -joints pain association.

I know bunch of people who had joints and body pain that went away after they removed gluten and other grains (even some that are supposed to be gluten free) from their diet.

That's why I suggested a detailed food diary with notes how you feel how the joints feel.

Sometimes Celiac disease or gluten intolerances can manifest itself as joints pain.

Can celiac cause inflammation? Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder. ... Since the gluten can be anywhere in your blood, people with celiac can have pain andinflammation in other areas of the body, such as the joints. It can also cause organ damage, bone loss (osteoporosis), and weight loss.Oct 30, 2017 Can gluten cause inflammation in joints? When a person with celiac disease or a gluten sensitivity eats gluten(gliadin and glutenin proteins) the immune system jumps into action,causing inflammation. ... A person may not notice external signs ofinflammation, such as redness and swelling, but may notice other symptoms, such as joint pain.

The Connection Between Gluten And Arthritis

If you have Celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, changing your diet may ease arthritis symptoms.

https://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/arthritis-di et/anti-inflammatory/gluten-free-diet.php

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Dianamar
on 6/1/19 5:10 am - NY

I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Ankylosing Spondylitis in 2007, and have been taking Immune Suppressing injections since then. I was tested for many disorders in 2007, including Celiac and Lupus, I never had Celiac disease or a sensitivity to gluten.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/2/19 10:18 am

I tested negative for gluten allergies or sensitivities. But when I am on proper diet, then do a 2 days grains challenge (eat grains with every meal) I get arthritis pain.

That also applies to other food. I have biomarkers for arthritis, but as long as I follow a very restricted diet (for me very restricted) I don't get too much pain and inflammation.

BTW - 2 days grains challenge - and I have severe joints pain, swelling that can last up to a week or 2 after I am back to my diet.

I am not saying that this would be your case. But considering that you just had surgery, and most likely you were on fasting - very limited diet liquids before the surgery (even one day) and 2-3 days after, and have no pain may indicate connection between food and arthritis symptoms, like pain.

Most likely the arthritis is not going to go away, but you now have a wonderful opportunity to record food and the same time record if any new food you add to the diet may impact the symptoms i.e pain.

Having arthritis is one thing, being in constant pain is another.

I.e studies show that nightshade vegetables in some people can increase inflammation and pain in people with arthritis.

Unfortunately most doctors are not current on resear*****orrelation between food and arthritis inflammation and pain.

You don't need to take my word for it, but Google studies on arthritis and nightshade vegetables.

Losing weight should help you to limit the joints pain.

Dianamar
on 6/3/19 5:47 am - NY

In my case, if it were as easy as changing my diet, I'm sure my Rheumatologists would have done this years ago. I don't have regular arthritis, I have a combination of Rheumatoid Arthritis and Ankylosing Spondylitis, which can't be remedied by a simple diet change. I think my primary Rheumatologist in Manhattan, who has written a few books about this subject, is a well respected doctor in his field and would know all the advances and research. What works for you and your arthritis, does not necessarily work for everyone.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/3/19 7:58 am, edited 6/3/19 1:02 am

Look, I am not sure why are you getting so defensive. You being pain free or not a lot of pain may be a simple reaction to anesthesia, or pain meds you are on and combination of diet.

I never wrote you may get rid of the arthritis and pain completely. But as you are going to be on a very limited selected diet for at least few weeks, having a journal with detailed food menu combined with arthritis pain symptoms may be a very unique condition that most likely you would never have in the future to see if food affects your pain.

Having chronic pain day and night is very challenging for body and mind. I know I have been dealing with chronic pain for years.

If someone suggested to me that by just journaling my food and my pain I may discover foods that may aggregate my pain and makes it go from 5-6 to 10 (where 10 is crying in pain, pain that wakes you up in a middle of night) I would do it. It would be worth for me.

I guess that efforts is not worth for you. That doesn't hurt me. I don't care. I really don't. It is your life, your pain. This is my last post to you.

You got to ask yourself why don't you willing even to try. Normally post op WLS we are supposed to journal what and how much we eat anyway. The extra effort is to write the pain level for that day. And then look to see if there is a connection.

Again, I am not sure why you are so defensive about that. And the research about food connection and joints pain is relatively new. It may take time before old school doctors can even consider that.

BTW: an example of food that can trigger my joint pain and make it go from 3-4 to 10 are ...apples. Ridiculous?, yes and not. I don't know if the pectins in apples or the acciddity, or something else all together cause my joint pain to get off the charts. But I love apples. And I used to eat them with skin removed. They helped my BM, they are relatively low calorie, nutritious food. But 1-2 large apples one day may make me wake up in a middle of the night with a lot of pain. They don't even bother my gut that much anymore. I had to give them up. Yes, I didn't like that. But I hate the pain more.

Talking about doctors and their diet advice, can leave a lot to desire. Take diabetics - a lot of them can help their disease by changing diet and lose weight. But reality is that not many people are actually going to do that. In SC the diabetes are very common. Yet people are not willing to change their diet.

I know quite a few who eat cake and drink soda, and eat carbs. Their doctors told them it is ok to have some once in a while, but when they do, to adjust their meds, like insulin, when they do that. And don't do that often. But it is ok to have some once in a while. I know personally at least 2 of them who have diabetes and used to get cake or cookies on occasions. I know them for 7+ years. When I first met them, they were active, still working, driving, having semi normal life. Now, both of them are in a constant pain due to diabetic neuropathy, unable to function. But they're still eating "just a small" piece of cake for special occasions. It is their life, their pain. And they have a doctor who have a patient for life. I can watch, feel sorry for them, and take care of my own issues. I am not perfect. I mess up, and when I do - I pay for it.

They take the neuropathy as natural progression of their diabetes. Gaining weight is also expected because they are in pain, on insuIin, and imobile. The eat like they always did, bread, and pizza, and french fries. Beside other foods. They have seen their spouse going through that stages and they accepted that the next thing they may lose a limb, be wheelchair bound, may lose their sight, and deal with kidney issues. That's what they saw in their parents, their spouse and now they are going through that themselves. Is it sad? You bet. But unless doctors and patients change their outlook on the disease - nothing is going to change. BTW - a 45 year old son of one of the ladies had been diagnosed with diabetes app 5 years ago. He is now on medication, but still he drinks a lot, eats what he used to eat, and waits for his turn for the diabetes to take over his life. He is not very obese. He could benefit from losing 20-40 lbs, and get more active. But why? He choose to enjoy his life now, and worry about future later. Because the doc told him it is inevitable. He accepted that.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 339 views