Suggestions

Amy R.
on 9/11/19 3:21 pm

I'm sorry you're starting off on a rough patch. I did too. It was no fun.

They used to call it "hell week" back then. And nobody told anybody else about it pre-op usually. I guess to avoid discouraging people. The label kind of put things in perspective though, because it literally is usually about a week of being pretty darn uncomfortable. And then the tide starts to turn.

You'll still probably have some decent pain on Day 8 and onward but it should start dissipating rapidly. The more you can sip and walk and the sooner you can do the those two things, the easier your recovery will be.

It hurts. Surgeries generally do. Even if your surgery was laparoscopic, your insides just went through quite the trauma. Try as hard as you can to focus on the good things that are coming up and all that you'll soon be able to do. You're about to embark on one of the most exciting periods of your life. Your health will get better and better. You'll buy lots of new fun clothes. You get to participate in all kinds of activities that you passed on before. Even the small things like fitting into restaurant booths are things to look forward to.

I know it hurts, 99% of us here do. You are strong and you will survive this. Each day you get through is one day closer to being healed. Post here as much as you want to, we all understand.

If your pain gets worse or is unmanageable with pain medication OR you can't keep up with your sipping, call your surgeon or the ER immediately.

Take care; baby yourself a bit. Make sure you sip and walk all the time or as much as you can. Maybe check in and let us know how you're doing. You'll be fine. You really will.

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/19 3:24 pm
VSG on 03/21/19

I'm sorry you're in so much pain and hope you're on the mend soon.

Is the pain from the ripped stitches or is it trapped gas?

I suffered for two days with trapped gas and felt so depressed and anxious that I had made a mistake having this surgery. Those feelings went away within the week and I haven't looked back.

You'll get there too! Good luck!

Reese123
on 9/11/19 5:15 pm

Thank you group for all the support....I feel better reading all the msgs...and will take all the feedback.

ripped stitches, weren't so bad..just a lot of blood loss....it could be trapped gas.

but I do feel much better now...thanks group...appreciate the kind words.

Emiepie
on 9/11/19 6:12 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

I know your menu isn't much right now but you might find value to starting to read and post on the daily menu thread and also visit theworldsccordingtoeggface's blog for some great recipes for all the different phases.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Reese123
on 9/11/19 6:36 pm

Thank you very much Emiepie, you've been very helpful

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/19 7:36 am

There are really wonderful waterproof healing promoting and pain relieving patches you can send a friend to buy in the drugstore - up to 3x4 inch size . They adhere like crazy and stay on for like a week and support your stitches so you can move freely and not hurt . They'll also help with healing w less scarring .

With the help of these you should be able to get up and walk very frequently for like ten minutes at a time . I did it every waking half hour . Don't get dehydrated - that's dangerous - keep taking small sips of water and/ or your shake .

If you're suffering caffeine withdrawal you can ask Ur surgeon for permission to include some coffee in your regimen or tea - mine had no prob with it and I healed just fine .

(((())) hope you feel better ! This is the toughest part - I think we ALL got buyers remorse the first days post op ( don't forget you're going thru excess food withdrawals too ) . It gets so much better !

Jannie7
on 9/12/19 8:48 am
VSG on 06/17/19

Try not to worry - like everyone says, it does get better. I also wondered on day two what I had done to myself but from what I hear that is normal. THe worst part I found was getting rid of the gas and like the others advised, walk,walk, walk and sip, sip, sip. It does get better and you will soon be feeling like this was the best thing you've ever done for yourself!

Daisydoo02
on 9/12/19 11:28 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Congrats Reese for being on the "losers bench!"

I am really sorry your experience has been a crappy one to start out, not fun at all.

Although I did not have compilations I was a slow healer. I took six weeks off from work and I needed every minute of those six weeks. I struggled with getting my liquids in, getting my protein in, figuring out my vitamin schedule. Remembering not to drink with meals and not to drink 30 mins after a meal. I was an emotional mess. And talk about tired! I was next level tired all the time. But you know what, come the three month mark for me it was like a light went off, Aha! I figured it all out, I was in a great routine of vitamins, protein, liquids. I got some energy back, I was dropping weight and loving my "new" life.

I got to my goal weight in 8 months and have been living the most healthy and problem free life since.

It does got better, before you know it all this will be a thing of the past. Stick around and join us on the menu thread!

Feel better & take care

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Reese123
on 9/13/19 5:08 pm

Thank you everyone for all the msgs....the group has lifted my spirits and am feeling much better...ty

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 299 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 299 views